2000-year-old Buddhas destroyed

quote:

Originally posted by JEff:

Big,

This would make them less, perhaps significantly less, than 2000 years old, would it not?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Big_Dick:

[qb]

... They date back to between the second and fifth centuries AD, before the coming of Islam.

[/QB]

You're right Jeff. Title should read "1800&1500 year old Bhuddhas destroyed".

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scum_Baggio

You are correct in what you are saying but my remark was made as ashman was saying that Thais doesn’t probably care on what was happened to the Buddha statues in Afghanistan.

Thais do care these things, or at least those Thais that I have spoken to. In fact, one of my colleagues did mention that the act done in Afghanistan was a great sin and this would come back in one way of the other.

Thais do care,

Some care because that's a buddha image,

Some care because that's a history of the world.

Some care because that's a buddha image and a history of the world.

As a Thai Buddhist, I do care because that's the world's heritage.

quote:

Originally posted by TGIAM:

Thais do care,

Some care because that's a buddha image,

Some care because that's a history of the world.

Some care because that's a buddha image and a history of the world.

As a Thai Buddhist, I do care because that's the world's heritage.

I?m not Thai

I?m not Buddhist

I?m not a historian

I have respect for others.

I believe in religious freedom (as long as they don?t harm or enforce beliefs on others)

I don?t understand why some Muslims hate Americans, British, Buddhists, Jews or everyone who doesn?t practice Islam.

I don?t understand why Muslims in New Jersey, Detroit, Egypt and Palestine were filmed cheering after the terrorist destroyed the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

I don?t understand why some Islamic countries support terrorists and why other Islamic countries aren?t more involved with stopping terrorism.

I don?t understand how any religious Islamic leader could support training camps for terrorists.

quote:

Originally posted by Big_Dick:

I don?t understand why some Muslims hate Americans, British, Buddhists, Jews or everyone who doesn?t practice Islam.

QB]

When I was a child the Catholic church teached me all human beings not believing in Christ were in the wrong and needed to be converted. Seemed they used this as a good excuse for killing the "unbelievers"

Idiots like those who teached me that crap must still be around in great numbers.

That's what you need to understand Big_Dick

quote:

Originally posted by thalenoi:

When I was a child the Catholic church teached me all human beings not believing in Christ were in the wrong and needed to be converted. Seemed they used this as a good excuse for killing the "unbelievers"

You are right. The history of christianity if full of murders, religious wars, prosecution etc. However, most of these gross things (like the crusades, wars between protestants and catholics) are way back in history. I sometimes think, Islam started like 600 years after Christianity, so there kind of actions also follow about 600 years after similar actions by the Christian faith.

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by Dundee:

"I don't think that you have any clue on how far the Thai Buddhismn stretch outside the country. Can I suggest to you to do some readings?."

The influence of "Thai Buddhism" is certainly not as marked as you seem to imply. Alright, there are a few Thai temples in Singapore (after all, there are some 50,000 Thais living there), there's one lone Thai temple in Nepal, and there are a few Thai-sponsored buildings in Bodh Gaya, Northern India. But in the latter, virtually all Buddhist countries have sponsored buildings since it's the place where Buddha was supposed to have gained enlightenment. Even tiny Sri Lanka has financed major buildings there. Outside of Bodh Gaya and (I think) Kushinagar, where Buddha died, I don't know of any Thai temples in India.

Of course, there are Thai temples wherever there are major Thai communities, mostly in the US, some in Germany, etc.

All this of course doesn't imply that Thai Buddhism as a religious force "stretches far outside the country", as you say. Aside from these token buildings, Thai Buddhism plays no role in the religious life of the above mentioned countries. The only country in which Thai Buddhism is fairly well-known and appreciated is Sri Lanka, from where Thai Buddhism actually originated anyway. Sri Lanka and Thailand belong to the Theravada school and regard each other as religious brother countries.

Thai buddhism does not mean a thing, as you say Scum, it's only relevant to Thais, same as french catholicism being relevant to France only. I've got a few videos of the great scholar Joseph Campbell lecturing on all the different Buddhist trends. Absolutely enlightening! BTW, i have this pix of a thai woman kneeling in front of a Buddha while having a conversation on her cell phone: THAT's Thai Buddhism! (circa 2001)

Archived