Do you have a criminal record

frede

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon Teddy, retell the bus stealing story and your various other court appearances.

P.S. At least you were never done for impersonating someone with a big cock. :)

4 court appearances but I was innocent in 2 of them.

I wasn't trying to steal the bus, I was only trying to move it to somewhere safer. Honest :grin:

i was taken to court and convicted of taking 24 lightbulbs from an unlocked car........

i was pissed at the time..... :spin:

also banned from driving for being in charge of a car while pissed.

i had been to a party and knew i couldn't drive home so i decided to sleep on the back seat.

but i was guilty as i had my keys in my pocket and even though i was asleep and had no intention of driving i was still found guilty.

pales into comparision with Mekong's tale.

One of the other occassions is similar to Sayjann's story. Well OK not entirely, but it does involve lightbulbs and Man Utd fans.

Many years ago when I was about 18 I went to see Liverpool play Utd at Old Trafford on the 'special' train.

After the match and on the train back, the train, which was supposed to go straight back to Liverpool without stopping was haulted temporarily at a station platform in Manchester.

The station was full of Man Utd fans and seeing us lot they started throwing things at the train windows. The lightbulbs were the only missiles we had to throw back but unfortunately the police saw us and arrested us and I was up in court several days later.

I can talk about this now that I've got it expunged back home (lawyers charge a bit for this type of thing) but it hung over my head since I was a teenager. I've told one or two people on here that know me the story. It also helps to see why I have a problem with police where I grew up.

I was once charged with accessory to murder before and after the fact the summer of my 18th birthday. Now that sounds a bit daunting and it does when you're first hit with it but the truth is a bit more benign.

I was thrown a party by some friends in my neighborhood when I was on my way to college. A sending off. One of them was a drug dealer. Anyway, unawares to me it was discussed at the party by my friend and his friends about what to do about someone operating in their area. This person was subsequently killed (I don't know if it was my friend and I didn't want to know).

Anyway, someone that was there was picked up for some sort of felony and the cops, as usual, offered him a reduced plea if he has any info that is of use to them. He said he knew of a murder. When asked how he knew, he said it was discussed at a party for guess who? Chocolat Steve. I was picked up near my house for questioning and while down there they kept peppering me as if I knew exactly what was going on and I had no clue. My friends don't discuss that kind of thing around me. If anything they shielded me from that part of their lives as they wanted me to do well and go to college.

The detective said he had information (lying of course) that a witness said I knew and it was at my own party. I kept denying (never even heard of the deceased's name when they said it), and said they had enough evidence (another lie) and witnesses to say that I knew. I accounted for my whereabouts on the day as I was running track that summer and was gone most weekends. (they wanted to try implicate me in it). They then said I knew of it in its planning stages and could be placed at the locale. Even there were tons of people coming and going who could be accused of the same thing. They said that I knew of it after it was done, hence accessory before and after the fact. They handcuffed me to scare and did the whole miranda thing and said i was arrested. They had other people there and after about 2 or 3 hours I was released, thinking its the end of it. In retrospect I think they knew I had no priors (arrests), I was a 'college kid' and I think they knew that I didn't have a part on it and in the unlikely event of a trial, they didn't have any thing strong enough for a conviction.

Over 4 years later I'm looking for a job after college and got turned down for a few that I thought I was definitely qualified for. My first few jobs were in the securities field (stocks and bonds) and one lady, told me the truth, an older black lady, who said my background check said I had an accessory to murder 'ding' (is the word she said) that came up in my background check on some computer system or whatever.

I told my friends about it and they offered me some advice. They asked if I had a middle name and did they use my full name at the police station. They only had my first and last name and they said I had to use my middle name as my first name from now on and never use my home address (which was on the records) for any thing again. Steve is my first name but I went by my middle name for much of my working life. Every new job that required a background check would fill me with dread. The lucky thing is what ever the search, my social security number wasn't on the arrest form, or i wrote it wrong or whatever because it never connected.

The police records wouldn't delete it at the time. So it hung for a while.

My lawyer I got to take care of it finally. Said that they had problems even locating it from all those years as they moved info from microfiche to computers, etc. and lots of old info got lost. He said I could have probably used my real name for a while and that background checks only go back so far, 5-10 years. At the time I got 'dinged' it was too new. Nevertheless, it pissed me off to no end that they went as far as they did. If it was still there I probably wouldn't have gotten a visa perhaps to go overseas. Not sure.

Archived