U.S. Air Strike In Somalia

Steve

I think "right-wing extremism" in America is largely a myth. Sure there is a tiny fringe off hidden somewhere but they are utterly disavowed by all mainstream conservatives. Left-wing extremists, by stark contrast, are everywhere and are wholly embraced by the Democratic Party and the media.

Thus I find your "even-handedness", Steve, to be (wittingly or unwittingly) illegitimate.

Why didn't you say you were talking about extremists in the beginning? You would have made more sense. Saying 'all lefties are liars' is just as stupid as saying all righties are fascists.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why didn't you say you were talking about extremists in the beginning? You would have made more sense. Saying 'all lefties are liars' is just as stupid as saying all righties are fascists.

I was not talking about extremists. All leftists are (wittingly or unwittingly) liars because leftism itself is a lie. It purports to be concerned with "social justice" but there is no such thing and any attempt to pursue social justice necessarily results in totalitarianism which is inherently inhuman and unjust.

For detail on the myth of social justice please see Hayek's classic work:

http://www.amazon.com/Law-Legislation-Liberty-Mirage-Justice/dp/0226320839/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Also, please note that the very meme of "right-wing fascism" is itself a leftist lie. American conservatives (and most conservatives in human history) are resolutely anti-fascist. Yes, there are elements of fascism in modern American society but they originate almost exclusively on the left. Jonah Goldberg has recently poduced a definitive analysis of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascism-American-Mussolini-Politics/dp/0385511841/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204667866&sr=1-1

With all due respect, your a young idealistic guy who means well. If America wasnt here or as powerful as she is we would all be worse off.

Somalia hasnt had a functioning govt since 1992 due to islamic extremism. ( As a consequence of this we have so many of the useless baby machine parasites here in London)

If American didnt do what it did there would be lot more problems in that part of africa, a lot more.

America as the current world power is not 100% perfect but who would be, would Russia, China or Pakistan be better.

Free speach is what America stands for, there is no other country in the world that has the freedoms that america has including the Uk and other western european countries.

STH

chuck, there is always that lurker, that reads the forum and his ego says to himself 'They know nothing. I'll have to set them straight and enlighten them to superior intellect and intelligence'. Considers that they have nothing new to learn becaus their 'life experience' has equipped them with all wisdom and knowledge.

Attempts it under the premise that he can't be wrong and uses the same old tired reasons when caught out: answers a question with a question; pretends to address absolutes when its intellectually dishonest to do so if the post is general and visa versa; and finally personal insults.

This guy is fun. The best thing about this forum is the breadth of knowledge and experience on here and anyone who can't learn something new, alters a view somewhat based on new information garnered from here and respects the general level of intelligence on here is...well...I won't say but we all know.

You find out how much you don't know a lot of times on here and its one of the reasons I enjoy coming here.

Very nicely put CS. It's all a bit sophomoric but hey it passes the time.

Rogueyam: I think the problem here is your parameters. You started by saying all â??lefties are insaneâ?? without defining what you mean by left. Even those on the right of the political spectrum can be left leaning. Then you start talking about extremists where I admit you may be on firmer ground. Then you jump to all 'lefties are liars' (but go on to qualify that with 'unwittingly') based on your opinion that social justice is a myth. But none of your simplistic statements bear close examination. Anti-American? For instance there are many things I like about America and some things I donâ??t like. Iâ??m liberal on some issues, conservative on others. Unlike you I canâ??t divide the world into lefty bad guys and righty good guys. In fact that kind of rigid thinking fits my definition of insanity.

As for Friedrich Hayek I think George Orwell said it best...

"But he does not see, or will not admit, that a return to "free" competition means for the great mass of people a tyranny probably worse, because more irresponsible, than that of the State. The trouble with competitions is that somebody wins them. Professor Hayek denies that free capitalism necessarily leads to monopoly."

Archived