U.S. Air Strike In Somalia

Steve

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<>

i know a yank here in the uk, gets lots of anti american swipes at work and he feels powerless to address his irritation/insulting nature of it all but little he can do about it. there are channels to go through if he was another minority!

is my avatar right wing enough?...you wear nikes you said so i guess not. dont you know very poor exploited folk make nikes under terrible conditions?

:(

'Anti-American' is subjective. What I may call 'anti American' may not be (and usually isn't :smirk: ) what others call it.

Saying America has f**ked up in something isn't 'anti-American' to me. Demonizing America as nothing but evil is to me. It ignores the good. It ignores that we're the government some of these posters governments come to when they need political, military or econcomic muscle. Never acknowledging America has done good. Wishing for the country to meet its demise instead of just changing some of its foreign policy which you disagree with.

The 'America is always right' crowd is just as one-sided in my view.

I'm sure there are more than a few situations that even those virulently anti American posters would want our involvement in (Darfur, econcomic and diplomatic pressure on China for a myriad of things, a lot of environmental or human rights related, N. Korea, any assortment of global human rights, environmental issues). Many of which couldn't get started or wouldn't be successful unless America takes the lead.

Both extremes ignore facts that address the reality that (in my humble opinion), America does bad, sometimes more than usual depending on who is running things and a lot of good and is generally speaking, a good nation, given its status in the world.

I've never met anyone who thinks America is always right. Further, I've never met anyone who is nearly as close to thinking America is perfectly good as are many who I have met to thinking that America is perfectly evil. That is my observation over many years of close, personal observation of conservatives and leftists.

I think "right-wing extremism" in America is largely a myth. Sure there is a tiny fringe off hidden somewhere but they are utterly disavowed by all mainstream conservatives. Left-wing extremists, by stark contrast, are everywhere and are wholly embraced by the Democratic Party and the media.

Thus I find your "even-handedness", Steve, to be (wittingly or unwittingly) illegitimate.

I've never met anyone who thinks America is always right.

Please find one post you have made saying America has done anything wrong, anywhere? Surely there isn't a lack of threads to choose from?

Please find one post you have made saying America has done anything wrong, anywhere? Surely there isn't a lack of threads to choose from?

Steve...he doesn't need to do that. Others are more than willing to point out the perceived shortcomings/f-ups. :)

HH

Archived