Best tours around Bangkok etc ?

mickey707

Any recommendations on tours around Bangkok etc. There seems to be huge differences in prices when booking up tours. I won't book anything upfront but if anyone has a reputable tour company or advise on who to use and where to go it would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of visting the Ancient City and taking a 1 day tour to River Kwai bridge, during my stay......any thoughts ?

Also whats the best deals on the island tours whilst in Phuket.... I booked a speedboat tour to Phi Phi last year but was disappointed when i turned up to be one of 45 people on the boat, plus when we pulled into the bay there were at least 6 other boats there already, the beach was like Picadilly circus. It was an ok day out but too over-booked for my liking. Any alternative ideas would be great.

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DON'T BOOK TOURS!

Tours are for sheep with no sense of adventure.

If you want to go to these places, just go. Plenty of taxis, whatever, when you get there. Want a boat? Find an empty one and negotiate.

And, if you go someplace and find you do not like it, you can just leave, rather than follow your tour around all day.

last time i was in bkk i did a few tours of soi cowboy and a place called nana plaza,i booked through belfasish travel and i received a free ticket to nana disco where as promised by the company i would go home with a freelancer at the end of the night :neener:

athough going on trips to show friends and family that your not a sex tourist IS a good idea too :cover::cover:

I think that might be good advice for the "seasoned" tourist or one who has lots of time. But I've found that the first time I go someplace and only have a day or two, I can see more and get better oriented to a city by taking a city tour.

For instance, going up to the River Kwai. Shit, for the traveller with only a couple of days, it could easily turn into an overnight "adventure"...depending on where on the river they go. A tour will take you where you'd otherwise not go in a 12-hour period of time. Same, same, the "floating market" tour (not the one to across the river).

So......I don't remember the name of the company that does the floating market tour, but I would recommend the one that includes a couple of memorial cemetaries, a stop at "The Bridge", a ride on a local train, lunch at the Jungle Resort. That one also includes a 15 minute ride on the river in a longtail. Yeah, and they will all stop at some "jewelry factory" on the way back into town. 5555555555

The day-long "floating market" that also includes the "Rose Garden" is about as "touristy" as you can get. Will take you to places that adhere to the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Stops at a "coconut plantation", boat ride on a river to a "market" comprised of boat venders hawking junk, a stop at an outdoor complex of "handicraft artisans"/vendors, snake farm and the Rose Garden.

The Rose Garden isn't really about the flowers, as I understand it and as I experienced it. It is basically a tent show featuring various dancers, animals, etc. A variety show, I guess I would call it. (But no pole dancers. :( )

For local places, a taxi is fine. For outside the city, I'd recommend a tour or a car rental with driver and maybe a guide if the driver doesn't know where he's going or doesn't speak enough English to be helpful.

HH

Yes, the bus / boat back from the old city is good, was about 3000 (?) B last time I did it.

The trip to the River Kwai was good as I stayed a few days on a floating lodge on the river for swimming/floating and what not. Cost...for me and the tee rak, just a few thousand baht, well worth the price and I would do it again as it was quite relaxing and fun!

last time i was in bkk i did a few tours of soi cowboy and a place called nana plaza,i booked through belfasish travel and i received a free ticket to nana disco where as promised by the company i would go home with a freelancer at the end of the night :neener:

athough going on trips to show friends and family that your not a sex tourist IS a good idea too :cover::cover:

If you didn't want to waste time though I've got a stack of badly taken photos of temples and elephants I'd be prepared to part with at the right price.

Archived