Best tours around Bangkok etc ?

mickey707

Most tour guides aren't paid a salary, the get commissions on whatever people buy when they are herded into gift shops, silk stores and restaurants. Even tours arranged by travel agencies from the best hotels will treat you like the commodity that you are, a substantial portion of your tour will be at shopping venues.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i made a guided tour in bangkok on my first visit to bangkok nearly 20 years ago.

it was plain shit!

- guide was talking and talking about non interesting details of temples and history, without giving the "big picture"

- try to bring me in one gem shop, one souvenir shop and to a massage place

since then i always go on my own even in much more difficult places then LOS like China etc.

I quite enjoyed my first trip here with my first wife as a genuine tourist. We booked our tours through the hotel and it was all new and exciting, even the gem factory, silk shirt shop etc.

Early one evening we were coming back to the hotel down Sukhemvit and I saw two girls getting into a taxi. They were about 20 years old and wearing hot pants and skimpy tops....

My life passed before my eyes as they say.

Genuine certified tour guides are few and have had to pass a tough test. They will have an ID badge to show who they are. Several of my students have earned certification. They told me they only get about 6,000 baht a month. However, they do nicely on tips from tourist - bringing their income to up around 20,000 baht/month.

Most travel agencies are as has been said - trying to steer you to places that pay them a commission. I don't know where to contact the real ones, through the Tourism Authority of Thailand maybe.

A nice trip on your own is the Chao Phaya River Boat Company's Sunday trip up river. Takes in some historic temples, some handicraft villages etc - and cost only about 300 baht. You can find it on line. They used to run another trip down to the Gulf, but apparently they have stopped it.

Most tour guides aren't paid a salary, the get commissions on whatever people buy when they are herded into gift shops, silk stores and restaurants. Even tours arranged by travel agencies from the best hotels will treat you like the commodity that you are, a substantial portion of your tour will be at shopping venues.

Yeah ..is all about ..show me the money

I quite enjoyed my first trip here with my first wife as a genuine tourist. We booked our tours through the hotel and it was all new and exciting, even the gem factory, silk shirt shop etc.

Early one evening we were coming back to the hotel down Sukhemvit and I saw two girls getting into a taxi. They were about 20 years old and wearing hot pants and skimpy tops....

My life passed before my eyes as they say.

J2,

farkn classic!!!!!!!! lol

Been there,done that

Cheers mate

DC

Guys,

We should not slag off the OP, he is asking a genuine question the fact that we (think) we know the city is another thing.

Mickey go and meet the guys at the friday evening meeting, they are a bunch of obnoxious assholes and I fit in very well with them, I joke great bunch of guys, hook up and you will be OK.

Archived