Lamb Pie's Tom Yam Goong

Coss

This resulted from me wanting to cook with no facilities in the hotel room. The Thais have great food, but so often the cooks are lacking in talent and what could be a spectacular dish often is ordinary.

Why and the significance of the Lamb Pie can be found here .

Take:

Kitchen Foil

Small Travel Water Boiling Jug

Small Serrated Fruit Knife

Prawns, live if possible, 8 or so per person

Straw Mushrooms, fresh, 2 pp

Elephant/mouse/other ear mushrooms, fresh, 1/2 a handful pp

Shallots, 1 pp (small onion things with red/purple skin)

A lime

Salt

Coconut milk

Some sweet chili and prik nam pla sauce saved from the day's beach eating

Head and peel the prawns, wash and slice the mushrooms, take off the stalks of the ear mushrooms - very tough - peel and slice the shallots, use serrated knife to scrape about 1/4 teaspoon lime zest from skin of lime, then slice lime thinly.

Use three layers of foil about 1 foot square and mould them to the shape of the top of the boiling jug - I used the lid to approximate this - and raise the edges as sides of the container. This is the pot. 1 per person.

Pour 3 teaspoons coconut milk into pot.

Add small amount sliced ear mushrooms, sliced shallots, prawns, straw mushrooms and then 2 lime slices, 1/2 of the lime zest sprinkled over, a pinch of salt.

Now the quantities are important here, 1/8 teaspoon sweet chili and 1/4 teaspoon prik nam pla sauces.

Pour over 3 or 4 teaspoons of coconut milk.

Seal the top of the pot well.

Place on top of boiling jug so that the pot sits just in the jug.

Boil for 10 or 15 minutes, I did two, so I alternated the pots every 5 minutes so that they were both ready at about the same time.

Delicious, I know cause Lamb Pie told me so, and that's what moved me to post this here.

Archived