Early Closing

Gadfly

I think this crackdown is more than just the usual side effect that comes along with a major police reshuffle.

Bed club, Twisted and Q-bar have to close at midnight these days. Nana strictly at 1 am and the hotel clubs not later than 2 am. After hour places are all shut down except may be Spicy (anybody got news on the closing hours).

From all what I know Chalerm is personally behind this nonsense and he seems to be determined to clean up the city...whatever this means.

Actually I consider the once again crowded booths on Sukhumvit worse than anything else but of course I am just a farang who doesn't understand Thailand.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind "early" closing times - **if** the gogos decided to open earlier than 7.30pm - 8.00pm.

2am's late enough for me, but why don't the gogos open earlier - say, 5.30pm or 6.00pm - so I can start drinking and ogling earlier.

Surely they would make more money too if they opened earlier? :dunno:

Opening for a mere 5 hours seems pretty lame to me.

I'm 100% with you there. Why doesn't that ever happen? Close 1 hour later so start an hour earlier! It makes perfect sense. Why don't they do it? I get the feeling it's the punters. But if you're mongering and on holiday... why can't you adjust? The girls are the reason to be there. So if they're there at 8, why are the bars dead at that time? :dunno:

Bibs, as you know yourself the problem is even if the girls are supposed to turn up at say 7pm you can guarentee that all the best lookers won't be there anywhere near that time. They are not bothered about getting a cut a few baht for being late when they know that most nights they'll likely make thousands? Opening earlier would appeal to some guys but I doubt many of the girls would find it appealling? And also I just can't see there being enough trade, most blokes start of in other bars for a few warm up drinks first and then move on to the agogos.

Simie.

I wouldn't mind "early" closing times - **if** the gogos decided to open earlier than 7.30pm - 8.00pm.

2am's late enough for me, but why don't the gogos open earlier - say, 5.30pm or 6.00pm - so I can start drinking and ogling earlier.

I also agree piggy I like to have a nice beer buzz going by 4:00 PM and be cudled up with a cutie by 1:00 AM!!!! :easter:

All this knashing of teeth over "early" closing times amuses me. In my early mongering/go-go days, 1 p.m. was the standard closing time at SC. (mid 80's). (And no barfine after midnight.) I hated it when they started staying open until 2 a.m. Most nights, I'd found my true love by about 10 p.m. and had barfined her. And if I didn't have something with me by midnight, it was cuz I wasn't really that interested that night.

All of the bars had full staff at 7 p.m. If you barfined at 7, 8, or 9, there were no worries that a girl would do a runner. All "take outs" were LT, unless the customer specificed otherwise. No negotiating of prices, etc. Never asked "how mut you give me" bullshit.

Hard to tell which came first...the ST/runner routine or guys showing up at 9 or 10 at night to begin their safari. Maybe guys figured that if they barfined a gal at 8, she'd want to leave go "home" at 10. So the punters started arriving later, having cheaper beers someplace other than a go-go. My M.O. in the 80s and 90s was to hit a small bar on SC like Moonshine or Toy Bar about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Get a bite to eat round 6...then go to Tilac or B/W or Midnight or Suzie Wong or Our Place when ALL of the girls were there. By 9 or 10, had a girl in tow. No more bar hopping or going to a disco or any of that "date" shit. Head back to the hotel and do the deed. Girl would go home someplace between 9 and noon (frequently had to tell her some bullshit story to get her to leave by noon unless I wanted her to stick around all day).

So, I guess if you travel on a plane for 10-20 hours to sit in a go-go til 2 in the morning, you feel cheated if the bars close at 1. I'd rather be getting a blow job and a fuck at that time of night.

HH

This has already been tried and the result was few customers. People don't like to go out for the nightlife until it is night. :patty:

as you know yourself the problem is even if the girls are supposed to turn up at say 7pm you can guarentee that all the best lookers won't be there anywhere near that time. They are not bothered about getting a cut a few baht for being late when they know that most nights they'll likely make thousands? Opening earlier would appeal to some guys but I doubt many of the girls would find it appealling?

This is true. Some of the better looking girls don't actually show up until 10:00 p.m. I don't think earlier closing times will make any difference to them.

We're not going to turn the clock back on them so that they get to the bars by 7 p.m. Bangkok has changed.

I am not so much bitching (since I am usually on my way home before 1 am), but trying to find out was his happening. This is a bigger issue for visitors - who have limited time and want to make the most of it - than an ex-pat on another Friday out. And remember the clothing rules haven't really changed in most bars.

But this still doesn't make sense. Men don't like the "night" part of "nightlife" for itself. They like the girls, nude and barfineable. This could happen at any time. And you can feel horny at any time. The night thing's just convention. And guys who've already gotten over the normal social convention that you shouldn't fuck hookers should be able to get over this small one! :grin:

Hugh - I'm not going to sit in a bar until 2AM. I just want the option of it being open so I can pop in and choose a girl to fuck. Like 7/11. No one sits in there 24 hours just because it's open that long!

24 hour gogos. Mmmmm..... Why not? Lolita's has a day and night shift.

Back to closing. Have any government figures actually said anything? The first social order campaign was accompanied by government figures talking about quality tourists, etc. I don't remember seeing anything this time.

If you want to find a fuck at 2, just use your phone and pick a number you've collected. Easy.

A 24-hour go-go ain't gonna fly. I remember when Fantasia (NEP) opened at 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Had a staff of about 12-15 girls dancing. Half of them would go down to a sister bar downstairs at about 7 (Voodoo, as I recall). Fantasia rarely had more than 2 or 3 customers at one time. Not enough customers/lady drinks to make it worth while for the bar or the girls. And if you barfined in the afternoon, you'd have to pay again at 7 if she stayed with you. :cussing:

HH

Archived