Early Closing

Gadfly

HH, Yes it would be great if things where as they where 10 or 20 years ago, but as Gadfly said we can't turn the clock back. Whilst I agree with you that lunchtime opening for agogos in Bangkok would'nt work a few places in Pattaya do it and are reasonably busy at that time. Of course Pattaya is a different place. And I also like yourself, (with the odd exception now and then) have no particular desire to be sitting drinking in a gogo at 3am or whatever. But as Bibblies said people like to have the choice. In Angeles City most of the gogos close at 4 or 5am and a couple are actually open 24hrs.

Simie.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't see (as of now) a big impact on the raunchy nightlife, the impact on the 'normal' entertainment is significant. These places live from people hanging out late and consuming until dawn.

Discos, clubs and late night hangouts are heavily affected. They hardly can attract a crowd before 11pm and if have to close at midnight already they will doomed sooner or later.

Ministry of sound in Soi 12 is one example, Mystique on Soi 31 another. I doubt that places like Q-Bar, Bed Supper club or the clubs on Thonglor and Ekamai can survive long under such stringent opening hours. Bangkok will lose much of its appeal and the nightlife will be reduced to massage parlors and gogo bars. Thecrackdown won't prevent anybody getting laid but definiely will reduce the funof a night out with friends. What a shame!

I still donâ??t understand the bigger picture behind this latest crackdown. First it said 2:00am, just 2 weeks later it is partly midnight or 1:00am latest. At the end this is hurting the tourism and the economy. I also donâ??t believe that the new government is more conservative than the â??old gingerâ?? cabinet. They are definitely more corrupt which would actually see a lot of afterhours places popping up and paying up the police. All I can think of that it is a personal crusade of Chalerm and Thaksin, who more than once blamed the excessive nightlife for the actions of their wayward sons.

Have a look at Tahitian Queen on Beach Road in Pattaya in the day time... quite often packed and hard to get a seat.

So not just the night-time people wanna go out.

I'm a morning person. Quite happy to be up by 7 or 8 when on holidays and in bed by 11 or 12-ish.

If I'm on the piss all night until 2 or 3 in the morning, all that piss really does make it almost a chore to perform. I much prefer shagging in the daytime - and/or when sober - these days.

(Read my siganture)

If you want to find a fuck at 2, just use your phone and pick a number you've collected. Easy.

You've hit on a sore point there Hugh. :(

I've come back recently after a mere 6 weeks away and a lot of my previous numbers don't work anymore! And quite a few of the girls I know have disappeared. :thumbdown:

As a general feeling, there seem to be fewer girls on the streets than at anytime in the last 6 months. And ladyboys are making up a larger and larger proportion of the freelancers in Nana Car Park.

Heh - probably.

Those pay as you go numbers get recycled quickly.

Has anyone heard anything yet from the government, like last time? There's one of the differences. There seems to be no big fanfare accompanying this crackdown.

Hardy's theory is a little disturbing ... and annoying for us. Would two men really order a crackdown for everyone just because of their own idiot sons? :dunno:

In Pattaya now. It felt weird to see people streaming out of Marine before 3. :crazy: And, coming up to 2am I noted lots of 'normals' still roaming the streets. It's not just mongers and lowlifes who want to be able to stay up.

I think some girls are taking this early closing as an excuse to go home super-early for Songkran.

"And, coming up to 2am I noted lots of 'normals' still roaming the streets. It's not just mongers and lowlifes who want to be able to stay up."

Actually this silly crackdown affects 'normal' people much more than the whore mongers who at that time will anyway be in the sack with their cutie.

On Sunday the BIB closed bars around Sukhumvit before midnight. We gathered at Absolute 2 to watch the football matches when at 11:45 just with the halftime whistle the curtains went down and a disgruntled owner informed us that they have to close at midnight. With the EURO 2008 just a couple of months away this definitely does not look promising. Nothing more boring than watching football from 1am to 3am alone at home... :thumbdown:

Hardy, yes "normal" tourism still seems to be booming still in Thailand? But one wonders how many of these people who are not regular visitors will bother to come back after being told to go to bed at midnight?! But as usual of course the people in charge could'nt really give a toss about farangs, too busy on their own little Thai related power trip.

Simie.

Archived