Thailand braces for rice crisis

Flashermac

"...there is also a severe labor shortage in rural areas. Most of the younger workers have left for jobs in the cities or other countries, there aren't enough productive field workers to go around..."

We can send them some Mexicans.

Seriously, as farm workers leave for better paying/easier jobs, the value of the remaining labor will also go up, thus driving up the cost...er right? :dunno:

I was just in a super market here (Farang market, NOT Asian) and Thai Jasmine rice store brand was $9.79 for 20lbs (Approx. 8.97 KGs)...maybe I should be stocking up?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the farm workers around here are housewives with a sprinkling of old men.

The full timers are mostly hills tribes ladies and the planting/harvest brings the Thai village women out.

I like to time my evening walk into the village with the dog to coincide with the farm girls waiting for the trucks to take them back into the mountains, they're always joking around. Cheeky bitches asked for a look at my cock one night. I don't speak Lisu but the message was quite clear... where do they get these funny ideas about Farangs from????

Well, the other side of the coin is, if they plant more rice, that will meet or exceed demand, then they will maybe lose money...what is the answer here?

"...Cheeky bitches asked for a look at my cock one night. I don't speak Lisu but the message was quite clear... where do they get these funny ideas about Farangs from????..."

So did you show them? if so, were they in awe? or did they just keep giggling? :)

I'd like to say they prostrated themselves and beat their foreheads on the ground in worship OH, but the village network would have had the news back to my Mrs before my fly was done up. The consequences could have been extremely painful.

Archived