Cyatica?

Lusty

I experienced this a couple of years ago. Told my doctor the symptoms and asked him if this transitory discomfort made sense. He smiled and affirmed that it did. Told me it was probably my siatic nerve thing and prescribed 800 mg ibuprophen twice a day. Normal, over the counter tabs are 200 mg. He said I could either go the prescription route if my drug insurance would make it cheaper...or just buy the 200 mg tabs and take four of those at a time. Problem solved in a day or two. No prob. Never have had a reoccurance. (Probably just an inflammation that you can treat quickly and cheaply.)

HH

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few chiropractors in Pattaya who enjoy good reputations. You could try one at the Healthland Spa on Pattaya Nua. If the exact cause of the pain in not known there is some chance that a chiropractor (or Thai massage) can make the situation worse.

However, as Hugh Hoy pointed out, sciatica can be treated with anti-inflammatories. Ibuprofen is a good choice. If it doesn't provide relief you could try Indocin (indomethacin) which is much stronger. These are both non-steroidal.

For extreme pain, you could try the steroid prednisone (sold here as prednisolone). It's cheap and very effective yet is a dangerous med due to side effects and should be taken only under the direction of a clinician, and then only for a short period of time.

Remember to take these meds with food or immediately after a meal.

Good luck. I just got over a bout of sciatica which was extremely painful and made walking (and sleeping) difficult at times. It took a fairly lengthy regimen of prednisone to quiet the condition down.

From the Mayo clinic:

For most people, sciatica responds well to self-care measures. You'll heal more quickly if you continue with your usual activities but avoid what may have triggered the pain in the first place. Although resting for a day or so may provide some relief, prolonged bed rest isn't a good idea. In the long run, inactivity will make your symptoms worse.

In addition, try the following measures:

Cold packs. Initially, your doctor may suggest using cold packs to reduce inflammation and relieve discomfort. Wrap an ice pack or a package of frozen peas in a clean towel and apply to the painful areas for 15 to 20 minutes at least four times a day.

Hot packs. After 48 hours, apply heat to the areas that hurt. Use warm packs, a heat lamp or a heating pad on the lowest setting. If you continue to have pain, try alternating warm and cold packs.

Stretching. Initially, passive stretching exercises for your low back can help you feel better and may help relieve nerve root compression, but avoid jerking, bouncing or twisting.

Over-the-counter medications. Pain relievers (analgesics) fall into two categories â?? those that reduce pain and inflammation and those that only treat pain. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen, and acetaminophen products such as Tylenol can both be helpful for sciatica.

Although they can provide real relief, both types of medication have a "ceiling effect" â?? that is, there's a limit to how much pain they can control. If you have moderate to severe pain, exceeding the recommended dosage won't provide additional benefits. What's more, NSAIDS can cause side effects such as nausea, stomach bleeding or ulcers, and acetaminophen can cause liver problems if taken in excess.

If you use these medications, talk to your doctor so that you can be monitored for problems. In addition, periodically re-evaluate whether you still need them. Exercise, stretching, massage and other non-drug treatments can often provide the same benefits without side effects.

Archived