Australia to introduce visas for sex workers

jai-dee

Not sure if this belongs to nightlife, news, regional or visa sections:

The Federal Government wants to protect migrant sex workers from the dangers of human trafficking.

So, should it introduce visas to allow such sex workers to work in Australia legally for short periods of time?

Introducing a visa to allow migrant sex workers to work in Australia legally for short periods of time would pull the carpet from under the trafficking nexus by allowing women to travel here independently to work. Greater access to generic working holiday visas for sex workers from our region would enable travel for work, without having to resort to a third party or "agent".

Treating migrant sex workers as a legitimate class of worker will get to the core of the trafficking issue. Decriminalising the sex industry in all states, and protecting workers from discrimination, would improve conditions in the long term.

Article

Discussion

Maybe they want to stop the extra money for australian civil servants.

I met a GTG in Pattaya in 2000, she had been married with a police major, had her own real estate company and went bankruptcy after the crisis in the ninties. She was willing to go to Australia for make money as a sex worker and was asked to come to an appartment in BKK where she met 2 men from the embassy, one man from australian immigration (and had sex with one of those) and their mia nois. They guaranteed her visa for australia and a lot of money. But she didn't get the visa (refused by one of the men present). After that they contacted her again and offered her to go to Australia using a borrowed thai passport with a visa. She asked me and I warned her that in that situation she would be illegal in the country and a sex slave. So she never went there. Instead she found a husband business and went to UK, some months later she was the GF of the big boss and mamasan of the brothels he owned.

The Australian embassy is known as the most corrupted of all western embassies in BKK.

And also the most useless, arrogant, contemptible bunch of scumbags.

(Said by an Australian who definitely does NOT believe in "My Country Right or Wrong")!

The australian embassy is known as the most corrupted of all western embassies in BKK.

>>The Australian embassy in Bangkok is notorious for its harsh attitude to Thai women apply for visas. "The scrutiny that is run over visa applications is quite extraordinary. One has to assume if contract workers don't have savings, legitimate jobs or connections in Australia, it can't be done unless bribes or corruption are involved. I've heard its $10,000 just for the embassy bribe. That pushes up the fee the woman has to pay back on her contract."

Sadly it appears you are correct..

Archived