Air Asia Checked Baggage Fee.

Julian2

Came in the email today

It's Green, It's Fair - Pay for what you use

Lighter Planes = Less Fuel = Low Fares

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why are airlines moving towards changing either weight or pieces for checked baggage?

With airlines moving towards an 'ala carte' pricing structure, people have found it acceptable to pay for services that they choose to purchase, just as they have accepted paying for meals. By charging a baggage handling fee, passengers will bring only what they need, making the system more efficient for everyone and lower costs for the airlines.

2. What is checked baggage allowance?

Each passenger is permitted to check-in a maximum weight as personal checked baggage.

3. What is the maximum weight for checked baggage?

Each passenger is allowed up to 15kg of checked baggage, free of charge. Baggage exceeding 32kg will not be accepted.

4. What is a Checked Baggage Handling Fee?

A fee incurred for each piece of checked baggage per one way.

5. When will a Checked Baggage Handling Fee apply?

For every item/bag that is accepted by us for carriage in the hold of the aircraft.

6. What are the charges for the checked Baggage Handling Fee per piece per one way?

There are two different charges. One that can be purchased at a discounted rate and another at an airport rate.

7. What is the charge at the discounted pre-purchase rate and the full rate at the Airport? Below is the fee schedule:

Currency RM THB IDR USD MOP CNY HKD BND PHP SGD

Pre-Purchase Rate

(Discounted Rate) 3 30 9000 1 8 7 8 1 41 1

Airport Rate

(Full Rate) 5 50 15000 2 13 12 13 2 68 2

8. How many pieces can I pre-purchase?

Guests may pre-purchase a maximum of 3 pieces at a discounted rate either at the point of booking or more than 24 hours prior to departure at the Call Centre/Sales Office/Airport.

9. How many pieces and maximum weight am I allowed to check-in?

No limit in pieces and weight, provided the Baggage Handling Fee is paid for each piece and excess baggage weight of the combined pieces is more than the Checked Baggage Allowance of 15kg.

10. Are Sports Equipment exempted from the Checked Baggage Handling Fee since the Sports Equipment fee is paid?

A Checked Baggage Handling Fee is a fee paid for each piece of Checked Baggage per one way. Sports Equipment may be carried in the hold of the aircraft upon payment of the Sports Equipment Fee per one way. These are 2 separate fees and neither is refundable or transferable unless the passenger meets the criteria of pooled baggage.

11. Will I be refunded my Checked Baggage Handling Fee if I choose not to travel?

Checked Baggage Handling Fee is non-refundable.

12. Can I up/down grade the number of pieces after purchase, and receive a refund for the downgrade?

Once a piece is purchase, it is non-refundable; therefore, you can't downgrade your pieces and be refunded. However, we do allow passengers to upgrade the number of pre-purchase pieces. This can be done at more than 24 hours prior departure at the Call Centre/Sales Office/Airport Sales Counter.

Note: Only 3 pieces per passenger can be pre-purchased.

So presumably fat arsed passengers will now be charged more too, huh?

:hmmm:

I have used that argunent many a time in the past with numerous Airlines pointing out the fact that it should be the combined weight of passenger and baggage and not just baggage weight.

Unfortunatley most times simple physics and logic are too much for check in staff to comprehend.

I flew Phom Phen to Bangkok last week on AirAsia - weigh in was 4 kilo's over, they wanted to charge, I refused, so they let me take out the heavy stuff and habd carry on :duh:

I reckon I had 20kg in two carry on bags and a shopping bag once. But my check in was only 15kg though. They just waved me through.

I use them because my wife's niece has a senior position in the local office.

She always books me on and sorts out any problems and I'm in Bangkok just as quickly as the Thai Airways mob for half the price.

Who cares if the seat belt don't close. And I can live without the free OJ and sausage roll.

Archived