The Board Room

Sarisin

Welp, the idea would fly and is flying.

Look at Nanapong and it's relationship with The Living Room (TLR). Now I'm probably going to get some flack from one specific ponger, but....

While not all pongers go to the TLR, the reality is that a bunch do. Just so happens to be the place to meet as a jump off point before going out to party. Why? Because it is centrally located, it has a comfortable atmosphere, and the burger (is that right term) is quite a nice guy!

If folks bought a bar, it would have to be a handful of folk. The idea of a whole bunch of guys pitching in just doesn't work as it would be a financial administrative nightmare. I don't see the liquidity of the shares being close to adequate to satisfy a whole bunch of small time investors who want to liquidate, blah blah blah.

Only thing I can say, if you do plan on putting in a pool table, talk to Peesohbook (sp!!!) or me before you finalize the layout!!!

lol

But seriously, I do wonder why we still keep meeting at Woodstock even though it's got a 9-footer.

<<burp>>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by gummigut:

Look at Nanapong and it's relationship with The Living Room (TLR). Now I'm probably going to get some flack from one specific ponger, but....

I can think of more than one ponger who would take issue with that statement!

While the bar has gotten alot of mileage out of the message board, I think it stands on its own merits. After all, it was the 'pongers who discovered TLR and reported about it - not the other way around, I think wink.gif" border="0 It's a comfortable place, for all the reasons you mentioned. And one more; Jazz can be found there some afternoons smile.gif" border="0

TLR was the first bar this tourist stopped in when he visited BKK recently. And, based on LA 'pongers stories, I thought it would be the nightly meeting place. But it didn't work out that way, for me. So where did I start out each and every evening? Monet. Go figger.

Hmmm...come to think of it, I did stop by TLR about every other day. And I enjoyed playing pool with some of the girls. And seeing shit posted about Paraes on the 'activity board'. And I got my discount card, although I never used it...#200 or something. And I never went to Woodstock, even though I like their burgers. I guess that friggin marketer GB's got me by the balls...LOL.

Maybe this branded bar idea has some viability wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

"But why no girls?"

Because this would bring with it a whole host of additional headaches/costs.

Sanuk!

What about getting just ONE bargirl? - the members could "invest" in her, like a timeshare smile.gif" border="0

I realise off course that having girls would mean extra administration/hassle, but I still maintain that it's a must. I am not thinking of a go-go setup, but more of a soi 33 style environment, where few but excusite specimens that can entertain. After all, most of the time there would probably be few or no board members hanging out, so we need something else to keep us occupied. I also seem to recall that they have a few lasses at woodstock, who serves you beer and beat you at pool.

Never said it didn't stand on its own merits and the fact that pongers "discovered" TLR rather than visa versa doesn't negate the fact that while there is no real formal relationship, a bunch of people, who happen to be known as pongers, hang out at TLR. By no means did I say all or most pongers but enough for it to be known as a place that pongers hang out (why else do they have that dang white board?).

Still standing by my comments.

<<burp>>

Not arguing that at all Gummi. It's a fact that a lot of 'pongers hang out there, and I like the bar/management alot myself.

Looks like I clicked the wrong emoticon on that last post. Oops...I don't post here too much these days. I wasn't pissed off at all:-)

"A place to meet and chat and maybe have a bite to eat. No gogo dancers, no hostesses in long gowns, no long-tongued lasses coming at you. Perhaps a pool table and some music. Laid back atmosphere."

Sarisin,

Do you want to set up a club house for boyscouts or a bar?

In a consumer business you'll need some USP's to attract your customers and what would be this bars USP?

Absence of all the reasons the sanukers come to Bangkok is not a good one to start with. The only USP I see is the common 'mission' of the target public.

This will maybe enable you to set up a 'meeting point' from where they will move on to other venues, but can you build a business around that model?

Better to 'adopt' a bar for every day gatherings, for instance Woodstock (which you all seem to like, never been there) and let the owner do his bar business.

If your objective is to run a bar, fine, start one. Time will be your judge. If your objective is to establish a meeting place for board members, then do so. Do not start a bar for that. There are enough bars in Bangkok already. And it's not a business that makes you rich.

Could it work? Of course it could! Might it fail? Of course it might fail. The proof is in the pudding. I doubt any of the owners of bars that failed here set out to fail. Just depends. There's already a Woodstock, but admittedly it's a hassle to get to if you don't necessarily want to hang out at Nana the rest of the night.

It should definitely be close to a Skytrain station, right next to one if possible, somewhere in the Sukhumvit area. There wouldn't be anything wrong with some cute waitresses a la Woodstock, even if they're not for rent. Don't go TOO heavy on showing UBC sports unless you want to be a "sports bar," which I myself avoid; I'm sure others also do.

quote:

Originally posted by Siam Sam:

Could it work? Of course it could! Might it fail? Of course it might fail. The proof is in the pudding. I doubt any of the owners of bars that failed here set out to fail

There are countless people who come here the first time, see the bar business, and thinkthis is easy. I can do THIS. So they move here and open a bar. Then they find out (to steal someone else's sigfile): You can't win. You can't break even. You can't quit the game.

And, without the barfine income, it would be even more difficult to make money.

Face it: the bar business is saturated.

Sarisan , maybe we can talk , as I am thinking of opening a Sybian & Bukake Bar mid/late this year , maybe I could use part of the bar or a back room as an area for the sicker board members whilst you run the front office with the serious drinkers etc , regardless of anything , most board members will be entitled to discount Sybian sessions with BYO wenches or free to join in Bukake madness!

Archived