The Board Room

Sarisin

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

On the subject of 'adopting' a bar, I am with Sarisin on this. Everybody seems to have a different opinion on which bar would be best.

Here's mine on a bunch of the alternatives:

Woodstock

I really like the food in here, and the music (although it can be a bit loud at times). Most of the waitresses are fun as well, and the owner is a friend.

Quite enjoy the 10% discount for regular Nanaplaza.Com'ers now as well (you need a card).

What I don't like about it is its location for reasons mentioned by others, i.e. inside Nanaplaza.

Warblers

Another favorite for similar reasons as Woodstock. Staff is friendly, as is the owner, again a friend. The buffets are usually pretty good and good value as well.

The cons of this place are I think its size (stick 30 boardmembers in there and the place will be utterly packed), and the live band is too loud.

Beergarden, soi 7

No aircon! Sorry, but if you have ever been here during the hot season you will know why this is an issue.

Also, it tends to flood during the rainy season.

Long time ago this actually used to be the ASFO meeting place, but we moved for the above reasons.

Busstop

Decent place, cheap food, some nice girls, but again no aircon.

The Living Room

Don't think I have ever been here, so can't give any comments.

Fairly certain others will disagree with some or even all of my opinions.

Sanuk!

First, my continued thanks for all the input you guys are giving me. One board member took my post and put it up on asfo, so I am also getting feedback there.

I wanted to put up a poll on this, but with the updated software obliterating the poll results, I thought I would hold out.

Khun Sanuk and I have known each other a long time and are good friends. We do tend to favor the same spots and have similar ideas for meeting venues.

The only difference is that I do not like Woodstock. Sorry, but I don't like the food (including the the burgers) and find the owner too insular for my tastes. So, I never go there.

I do like Warbler's, but as KS mentioned it is smaller and the band can complicate good conversation later Friday evenings. There is one other thing.

Last night Santos told me it is very possible Warbler's will be leveled in the next few months to make way for a new Nana Plaza - no, not an entertainment version like we enjoy now.

He will know later this month if his place and most of the neighborhood including other soi 4 bars will be flatttened to make room for the plaza. His landlord has already stopped accepting rent payments, so it is not a good sign.

His alternatives appear to be the Rajah Coffee Shop and expanding Hunter's Pub further down the soi.

Again, I just feel there is no place right now that could be a meeting place every night that would make everyone want to visit. That was my thought in the first place in seeking input.

I have not been to the Living Room however, and might have to check it out with all the positive feedback here.

Thanks again, fellas. You are the best! laugh.gif" border="0

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Stickman posted in his last column that Woodstock isn't making too much money these days why not make that the nightly venue?

Seems that everyone likes the place, they're friends of some of the board members and they could do with the custom?

Stick in a couple of computers with Internet connections and you can log onto the board at the same time and get / give up to the minute information.

What about forming a 'sanuk union'. Basically there could be a small membership fee that would cover administrative costs. A large contingency of dedicated members could be used to leverage discounts from several bars/go-go's/restaurants.

Meetings/events could be planned in several places per month and the group could demand a lower barfine/group drink rate due to volume.

If I owned a bar and someone came to me and said:

"I'm bringing 15 people here tomorrow night, we will have at least 3 drinks each, and at least 7 girls will be barfined, can we work something out?"

You can bet you're BG's nice little round ass that bar owners'/managers would be interested.

In addition the offline union would really benefit board membership, participation, and info.

Archived