The Board Room

Sarisin

A number of us have talked about buying a bar in Bangkok and setting it up to be THE meeting place for members of the various forums, including this one, on Thai sanuk who happen to be in town.

Before I get all the lectures about 'the best way to make a small fortune...., etc.' let me say I am just interested in hearing whether you personally would patronize such a place. Not admonitions about buying a bar.

Basically, it would be something similar to Woodstock. A place to meet and chat and maybe have a bite to eat. No gogo dancers, no hostesses in long gowns, no long-tongued lasses coming at you. Perhaps a pool table and some music. Laid back atmosphere.

The focus would be to have a place to hook up with other guys from the boards ANY night during the week. Yes, some of the guys do get together Friday evenings at Woodstock and Warbler's, but if you arrive any other day, you are on your own to arrange meetings.

I would see it as a place to meet and chat, and as a launching pad for the night out in the bars.

Honestly, if you were to total the potential customers from all the boards, you would arrive at a high population to draw from.

Believe me, I am not close to doing something like this. However, consider this a bit of a feasibility study on this board to see if there would be interest. I want to see what kind of response this post gets, then look to the Polls Section for a poll asking again so we can come up with some numbers.

Again, do you think a bar like this would fly or not? Feel free to provide advice and constructive criticism. That's really what I am looking for.

Thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Well, since we have talked about this already several times, you know that I agree with you.

The biggest problem in my eyes would be the location, I can't honestly think of a good, available, location on Sukhumvit.

Anyway, like I said, I certainly like the idea.

Sanuk!

Aloha...if for no other reason, this would

be fun. Ownership could be limited to 5%

per person with a board of directors running

the day to day "not for profit" operation.

Would it work ? Yes. The only question would

be the legal issues. I spend a couple of

weeks a month in Bangkok & would love to have

a "hangout".

It certainly has an attraction, but IMHO unless you really want to open a bar you would be better off "adopting" an existing bar (or bars).

- Maybe have different bars each day of the week - with just the meeting times kept the same 7-9pm?

For me part of the fun of the LOS is bar hopping, (as at least it feel like I am going somewhere!) rather than just sitting in the smae bar all evening - especially one with no girls. crazy.gif" border="0

- Maybe you could negotiate with existing barowners to offer discounts (or just free peanuts!) to board memebers

BTW would we be "allowed" to talk about politics? smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

How about a nice big TV for all of the UBC sporting events? laugh.gif" border="0

I agree that it would be difficult to find a place for reasonable rent in the Sukhumvit area. If the place were too far "down the road" and not convenient, would people bother to stop by?

Adopting a bar is not a bad idea either. I would make it a point to check in if I didn't have to run a gauntlet of hello girls on my way their. Woodstock is close by but sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to negotiate NEP.

Sounds like a great idea. But why no girls? After all they are the main reason why we all go to LoS. In my opninion a members club for farang LoS aficionados, would need to have a group of carefully selceted and extremely good looking hostesses. In fact the one element that should distance our club from the rest should be that all the girls were hot and with pleasent personalities.

This might mean slightly higher running costs since we would need to offer a higher base salary to attract the stunners, but I am sure it would pay off in the end. I think a lot of people would be willing to pay a little extra for real quality. Personally, I would be willing to volounteer as the recruitment officer for the establishment.

Archived