LOS, here I come !

gobbledonk

basically I don't see how you could ever get lost anywhere with or without any language skills?

I dont know about the burbs, but central Bangkok is a breeze - nice straight lines that intersect at predictable points : a grid. Nanning initially seemed that way, but Ye Olde China had curves : aesthetically great but they fucked up my sense of direction. Frustratingly, while my hotel had seemed to dominate the CBD when I first arrived, I couldnt see it anywhere in Ye Olde China. I'm convinced that I wandered into a parallel universe, and only the intervention of two kindly spirits saved the Gwailo from an eternity of being lost in 'Little Chinatown'. It was a city within a city.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortunately for people like me:

- They are not able to remember a street's name.

(which is inconvenient with taxis)

- They go somewhere once and even 5 years later (if landscape did not change too much of course) they are able to find the way back without problems.

This said, learning how to pronounce Thai names correctly comes easily, the Thai system of main roads and the soi numbers is great.

Transportation is cheap -> so if you are lost this does not hurt too much your wallet.

(compared to 80 euros I just had to pay in Dublin)

compared to 80 euros I just had to pay in Dublin

Had a similar sensation the last time I caught a cab from Brisbane airport into the city - less than 20km and he hit me for almost 50 dollars. C'est la vie - I could have waited for the Airtrain and paid 12.

Woohoo - looks like I could walk from those apartments to Lumpini Park. Early morning exercise and late nite cheap sex (well, if you dont count the longer term costs). Seriously, its all good - I will take the time to look outside the ghetto during my initial 'five days rec leave'.

Archived