LOS, here I come !

gobbledonk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Business visa might be a bit tricky. Thai immigration need proof that you are doing business, i.e. money going in and out of the account all the time. And even then they can be quite picky about who they want to give a visa to. Greasing some palms could help. I'd probably go with the student visa, there's a school that advertises on Stick. Will set you back about a grand.

you won't have a good time

Sayjann, as I said to OH a few days ago, I respect everything you've ever posted since I joined the board in 2002, but isnt this something I have to do for myself ? If I return to Oz in a few months older and wiser, then at least I dont have the 'what if' bug hanging over me. I know that many of us go to Thailand for all the wrong reasons, but 'the simple fact is that I'm not having a good time here.

Will I tire of the crowds, traffic, pollution, walking-ATM-syndrome ? of course.

Will I get fucked over by unsrupulous Thais (male and female) ? Entirely possible.

Will I get my fragile heart sliced and diced and fed to laughing hyenas ? Entirely probable.

I know its bizarre for the same guy who wrote the 'LOS Realisations' post to plan to move there for 6 months, but its the only place I've felt *alive* in a very long time. If I end up in a body bag (literally or figuratively), I only hope that its after the magic has worn off.

Well done to you for making the decision ..hope it all works out for the best ...

Thanks TB - even if it doesnt go according to plan, how many of us can say that we took the risk ? I remember reading Stick's account of his arrival in Thailand years ago, fresh from NZ (from memory), and marvelling at his courage. Its a pretty well worn path now, but I suspect that he had to work a lot of it out for himself. That stuff doesnt find its way onto too many resumes, but I personally value it a lot more than the hothouse flowers I worked with in my Uni job : PhD's who had barely left their home town.

Business visa might be a bit tricky. Thai immigration need proof that you are doing business, i.e. money going in and out of the account all the time. And even then they can be quite picky about who they want to give a visa to. Greasing some palms could help. I'd probably go with the student visa, there's a school that advertises on Stick. Will set you back about a grand.

I got one easily about 12 months ago in Adelaide.

There's no palm greasing because the Consul and staff are Australians and in my experience there to provide the best service possible.

I have seen stories on another forum that the Non-Im B visa has been tightened up; last year you only needed a letter from a company, but as you say, more proof of your employment must be provided. IF... the stories are true.

I would suggest a phone call to the appropriate consulate may be a good idea before investing in air fares.

Brisbane

Australia, Royal Thai Consulate-General, Brisbane

87 Annerley Road

South Brisbane, Qld 4102

Australia

Tel +61-7-38467771

Fax fax: +61-7-38467772

E-mail : admin@thaiconsulate.org

Thanks DA - it appears that the 'Private Lessons' at the page you mention is the ticket for the student visa - at almost AUD 1000, I need to ask around and see if anyone has had any experience with these folk:

http://www.thaiwalen.com/prices.php

Also not sure how quickly I can get an application approved, visa okayed anyway - may need a visa run after I get there. They seem flexible re start dates - as I said, I need to look into this further.

Hi,

"If I return to Oz in a few months older and wiser, then at least I dont have the 'what if' bug hanging over me."

Exactly the reason why I went ahead and moved 10 years ago. I had actually tried it once before (2 years earlier), failed miserably, spend another year working/saving and tried again. Still here after 10 years.

Sanuk!

Thanks for your support KS. I try to be inspired by the success stories on the board, esp. when the initial path was a rocky one. I think we are all old enough to know that its never completely 'happily ever after', but I'll settle for some 'happily right now' at this point in my life.

The ex has, on previous occasions, pointedly asked me if I'm running away from the one thing I'll never escape - the wombat in the mirror - but tonight she was very much on my side. I can either dwell on the negatives or ride my current euphoria for all its worth - yeeha !

:beer:

Archived