LOS, here I come !

gobbledonk

Brisvegas is a easy consulate - however make sure they stamp it right - VERY friendly but not bright lass who has made mistakes - Flash has good ideas and NOT expensive - feel free to PM me - sadly no XXXX here but there is Beer Laos :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks CTO and Mekong - appreciated.

Head is spinning after reading the 'Paypal' thread in Finances : I know we get hammered when we withdraw baht from an ATM (using an Oz card), but that was my (rather naive) plan.

Will chase up my statement from CBA and see just how bad the damage was on the last trip. So many things to sort in a little over two weeks, but I'm a lot happier than I have been in days.

Thanks FM - will look into it. Having previously worked in a university, I am a bit cynical re value for money (particularly when there is a poor lecturer/student ratio), but its all worth considering. 'Book' learning is one of the few things that I have done consistently well at throughout my rollercoaster ride :smirk:

The student-lecturer ratio is often terrible at a private university, say 60 or so in a language class! At the government unies it's usually much better, not more than 20-25 in a classroom and often as long as 12 or 14. (And yes, the private unies cost more!)

Srinakarinwirot (aka Prasarnmit) had a Thai studies programme. Not sure if they still do. The Tommy Sot name opens doors though.

Something to bear in mind.

Keep good account of all time between now and Friday when you finish your current paid employment. Six months in LOS is going to feel just about the same, time wise.

I landed here 10 years ago this very month and it seems like yesterday.

If you do anything other than stare out of an apartment window for the full 6 months, or whatever you're planning, the time will move at triple farangland rate, and then some.

Oh yeah, and keep posting here. I'm sure we all want to follow this. Some so we can nod knowingly and tut-tut to ourselves as you wriggle through the pitfalls we have lived and others so they can live vicariously through your exploits.

Er, have you started a countdown thread yet?

Go for it, if you don't you will likley regret it sometime in the future. One of my biggest regrets, is not taking the opportunity myself 8 years ago now, when I was able to, instead, I choose to wait for the 'perfect' time, unfortunatly, a major health issue reared its ugly head before that perfect time occured, and it never happened. A helluva lot of my good times were missed, don't miss yours.

Er, have you started a countdown thread yet?

Lol - not quite. I feel strangely calm about the remaining days, even though there is so much to do. The boss has been very gracious about my 'attendance' for the remainder of my stay, so I can take care of a few things before the weekend.

With tax time approaching in Oz, there are a couple of things I'd like to be able to tie up. At the moment, this seems the best option :

1. Have all mail redirected to my friend in Brissie - she has just bought a house, so should stay in the same place for the duration. I will leave her with money for postage etc

2. Try to deal with as many things as possible from Thailand, but be prepared to fly back if necessary. Depending on how I get on with the visa, this may be necessary anyway (Singapore is closer, but I just know that there will be something that needs me to be here in Oz .. c'est la vie)

3. Hopefully, be ensconced in Bangkok by mid-July, free of visa worries for at least 3 months.

4. ........ who knows ? Presumably I'll return to Brissie and I.T., if current demand is any indication, but thats a decision for another time.

Yeah - best laid plans etc, but I feel that there will be just enough shit waiting for me after a month of moving out that I will need to take care of it, and I've never been late in ensuring that Caesar gets his due. It will also give me an opportunity to take my friend and her BF to dinner to thank her for this and other generosity over the years - a few more women like her and the world wouldnt be so fucked up :content:

One of my biggest regrets, is not taking the opportunity

pe7e, you've nailed it. I could have made this move 6 months ago, with more money in the bank etc, but I gave myself about a thousand reasons why it was a bad idea. As you say, we dont know what is around that corner, or if we will get the same opportunity again. At 49, I know I wont be this gorgeous forever - high time I started to live a little :smirk:

GD, all I can say is that do yourself a favour an work your budget with an outgo of B120k/mo (that's considering a B25k/mo condo). You are fresh "off the boat" here and will not be happy going native after the novelty wears off. After six months...maybe you can do it for B75k (I couldn't, but...).

Just a reality check, IMHO.

Cheers,

SD

120K a month times 6 months comes out at 720K - thats doable, no problems, even on top of flights an relocation expenses when I return.

My pride says that I can bring it in under 100K a month, but I accept that I havent even done a week of 'reality' yet. You might be surprised by how well I can 'go native' on some things, but I know my weaknesses will cancel a lot of that out.

- I sure as shit wont be buying Starbucks crap when that lady who makes the 'cafe latte' concoction with little more than condensed milk and ice has them beat hands down

- I dont smoke or gamble

- designer clothes are designed for someone else

- I have all the e-toys I'll be needing for quite a while

Downside - a few beers, dinner for two and a movie quickly add up : one way or another, we all pay :smirk:

Archived