Closing Time

With the current closing times of Thermae and Nana Disco, where do the bargirls go after the bars close? Where is the late night action these days? Is Rainbow Disco also closing early?

Sailor

Places with the longest opening hours nowadays - apart of Nana and Thermae - are Spasso Disco (Hyatt Erawan), m2(Novotel) and Hard Rock Cafe. Going back to the former opening hours is not very likely, at least according to the official comment in Bangkok Post that was made about a recent domonstration of about 1000 nightspot workers and employers

Nightspots want longer hours

2am closure ruining business, they say

Nightspot workers and employers rallied outside the provincial hall early yesterday morning, demanding later closing times.

About 1,000 of them gathered about 4am and sang, danced and debated the merits of extending opening hours from 2am to 5am.

Women were dressed in spaghetti strap blouses, while men had their hair dyed. No alcohol was served during the rally, which concluded without any problem around 10 am.

Chatchai Kruapanitwong, chairman of the provincial night entertainment industry, filed a petition with governor Somboon Suksamran yesterday.

He said the laws governing night venues was outdated. They were drafted four decades ago when people did not go out much at night.

Many nightspot operators had been forced out of business by the short operating hours.

(...)

Mr Chatchai said entertainment venues in the province co-operated fully in the fight against drugs and underage customers.

(...)

Pol Lt -Gen Vichit Khuantechakupt, commissioner of Police Region 1, said he would continue the crackdown on nightspots which flouted the law.

"Strict enforcement will continue until the Interior Ministry and the national police office say otherwise," the commissioner said.

I presume that the couple of 24/7 bars in Patpong are still open as usual - but can anyone confirm this?

I'm planning ahead......"just" in case I fall off the wagon when I get back to BKK in August(ish) smile.gif" border="0

Last Saturday night King's Garden was jumping until past 0500. The two discos (King's Palace and King's Lounge) emptied out around 0330 and inundated King's Garden which already had plenty of non-BF'ed dancers from an assortment of Patpong gogo bars. I grabbed one from Thigh Bar. They still have a band at King's Garden, but finish up before 0200. The beer I had was cheaper than most NEP gogo bars. I actually prefer KG to Thermae in some ways, for example, a more or less smoke free environment. But, there are those pesky katoeys....

In spite of them, I do see myself going to Patpong more often.

Last week I was walking down Sukumvit at around three am. I almost got my pocket picked by Katoeys and I've never seen so many people lining the pavements down there. It was like walking through the set of Taxi Driver. The new two o clock curfew has made Sukumvit a dangerous place to be at this time of night.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived