A simple demo of face saving or Kreng Jai (sp?)

Coss

I found this poll in the Bangkok Post Website most amusing and thought it was a simple demo of face saving or Kreng Jai (sp?)

Most polls have a "don't know" option, but this one has three, count 'em, three, options to not say "yes" or "no".

thumb_1210813293-Poll.gif

Cheers

Coss

Stretching it a bit to call this face saving isnâ??t. ? The 3 answers not yes or no are completely different and actually tell the pollster a lot about what people think and know about the subject.

Donâ??tâ?? Know : Understands the question, but is not sure the argument is plausible

Have no opinion: Understands the question, but does not care

Not familiar with the subject: They donâ??t know anything about subject therefore does not have an opinion.

Stretching it a bit to call this face saving isnâ??t. ? The 3 answers not yes or no are completely different and actually tell the pollster a lot about what people think and know about the subject.

Donâ??tâ?? Know : Understands the question, but is not sure the argument is plausible

Have no opinion: Understands the question, but does not care

Not familiar with the subject: They donâ??t know anything about subject therefore does not have an opinion.

Ahh but the question in the poll is not "what do you know about the subject?" It's "is this stand plausible?"

And my point is that many Thais will avoid a yes or a no or a don't know for reasons of face, and therefore you don't see two more options in western polls.

Kreng Jai...doesn't that mean "respect"? :dunno:

And also to avoid giving offense, so to answer yes or no may offend, to not know would demonstrate ignorance (loss of face) and therefore two more answers are a good alternative to the above.

Cheers

Coss

You wouldn't want 7% of people not knowing :)

So if I build a freeway with blind curves and no warnings I' not responsible?

I am not familiar with freeway or curves or warnings and responsible is a concept alien to me which is why I wonder why I answer polls in the first place

:)

Cheers

Coss

Archived