New/Used Books

Being a semi-voracious reader, mainly paperbacks, what is the expense for a new paperback book in Thailand? Then, what about used books? Used bookstores?

I read fiction mostly, science-fiction, mystery, thriller, etc...and average about one book per week.

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

New paperbacks will run you about 300-400 Baht.

Only know of one used bookstore, opposite of Emporium, but it sucks. The prices are way too high.

Sanuk!

Used books in the US are cheap ($4.00/170 baht)...but new ones are hovering close to the 300 baht mark....

Elite Used Books has two branches: one opposite Emporium on the other side of Sukhumvit Rd, walk 50 meters in the direction of Villa Market.

The second one is also opposite Emporium, but across Soi 24, in a little alley off Soi 24 (it is on the right hand side there).

There used to be a second hand bookstore on Sukhumvit on the same side as Emporium, further east, a couple of minutes walking distance. I am not sure whether it is still there.

There are several used book vendors in the KhaoSarn Road Area. Some of them are in alleys off KhaoSarn, so you have to look for them. One is on Tanao Road, just opposite the junction of KhaoSarn Road.

No one's mentioned the book section at the weekend market which to my mind has the cheapest selection of second-hand stuff.

I wouldn't give the Khao San Rd booksellers the time of day.

I'd go looking in the Khao San (backpacker) area for used book stores. I know there's one shop there are least which is a rip-off, but there must be others.

In Chiang Mai I know of 3 used book stores having English language novels. They all charge about 140 baht give or take 40 baht or so depending on condition. They also buy books back at half that price.

When I was still travelling on a budget I came across quite a few guesthouses with a book-exchange book chest where you could just leave the book you finished and take any other one for free.

Cheers,

Chanchao

There's another second hand book shop in Pattaya on soi Yamato, paperbacks average about 100 baht each, it's run by an American expat, he has a pretty good selection.

On Koh Samui try Nathon Books in you guessed it Nathon. It is on the street opposite the Amphur just walk up the street towards the sea and it is about 40 meters up on the right. All the books are catalogued alphabetically by the author, and also by type: German, French, Science Fiction, Non Fiction, ext. The books are all cleaned up wrapped in a plastic bag and in good condition. The prices are from 100-300 Baht, perhaps a little high, but a far better choice than new bookstores in Thailand. If you return the book for a new one, you get half back towards the new one. Also if you are a long term resident, you can possibly make a deal to rent the book for 20% of the cost. The shop is run by a seventy five year old expat Irishman "Jimmy" and his Thai wife. Jimmy has many stories to tell if you get him going.

If your in Phuket and near Kata Beach go to

Kata Book Shop it is just at the bottom of the road that comes from Karon Beach and on the right down a small soi that leads to the Peach Hill Hotel, it is down the soi on the right about 25 meters and has a Penguin sign out front. It has the same concept as Nathon Books, but not the selection. It is owned by an American Lady "Carol" and her Thai husband "Addy". Carol copied the concept from Nathon Books. Hope this helps. Samuigeorge.

Archived