To the Americans

TheCorinthian

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shit, a lot Americans do not celebrate Memorial Day.

(Uggg. You try to wish people a good holiday and....)

An odd comment. I bet if you ask Mexicans on the street if they are "Americans" they will say no and a whole pile of them will say they wish they were. If you ask a ton of Canadians most will say no and some are glad they are not.

Even in Iraq they ask, "Are you an American" and they mean "United States Citizen."

So by that logic if you did not know what I meant you have to be a moron.

And also, if it were not for a lot of Americans in uniform, most of you would be dead or at best living in a vastly different, likely German speaking, world.

Chill out! I was joking with you. I look at all people who live in the Western hemisphere as Americans. Look at one of the oldest if not oldest map of America and it has the name America printed over the area we call Brazil.

I have talked to many Canadians and Mexicans, and many of them look at it as no big deal, but some consider themselves Americans also.

It is like using the word United States; are you talking about Mexico, Brazil, or the USA? A few weeks ago I used the word United States and to my surprise, the person I was talking to asked to distinquish which country I was talking about. Shit on me.

Saying we are a citizen of the United States of America is a bitch to say but then I generally shorten it to USA citizen.

When I first started going to Thailand 20-something years ago, one of the questions (aside from "what name you"? or "you come alone"?) was "where you come from"? I would answer, "United States" or "The U.S.". I'd get puzzled looks on faces. If I said "America", no such puzzlement. We all know by now your "hang up" about all people living in the Western Hemisphere being "Americans". So it is no less true if people from the USA say they are American. They are. Do you say you are a "Californian" or "Arizonan" to a foreignor? Do you really think they know or give two hoots?

HH

Do you say you are a "Californian" or "Arizonan" to a foreignor? Do you really think they know or give two hoots?

Then why does TheCorinthian call himself as such? Couldn't he just call himself TheGreek, TheMediterranean, or TheSouthernEuropean?

Sincerely,

AmericanVirgin :)

Do you say you are a "Californian" or "Arizonan" to a foreignor? Do you really think they know or give two hoots?

Then why does TheCorinthian call himself as such? Couldn't he just call himself TheGreek, TheMediterranean, or TheSouthernEuropean?

Sincerely,

AmericanVirgin :)

HH

Archived