Russia and China join to condemn U.S. missile shield

Bangkoktraveler

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 'first strike' syndrome is totally out of hand. If the USA gets away with this, it has the capability to put weapons in place for 'first strike' against any country such as Australia, UK, France, etc. This maybe a turning point in which countries pick their side for another round of 'cold wars'.

Do the USA people want to be looked at as the planet's moral and political police? I don't think so.

If they threw in the towel' date=' why do we need the shield?

[/quote']

Because the Russians and the Chinese picked it back up again.

(duh)

I hate it when my mythical heroes are debunked. First, no Easter Bunny. Then, no Santa Claus. Now, to find out that The Gipper did not actually single-handedly bring about the destruction of Russia!

What's next? Mission NOT accomplished? Oh wait, we already know this.

WMDs not found? Dammit- they weren't, were they?

It's not about the oil? Oh shit, what was it that Century McCain said last week? Something like "We need energy independence, so that we don't have more conflicts like Iraq.

If anybody tries to tell me that we are doing all the things we've been doing for anything other than humanitarian purposes, I'm just gonna have to whack your lying mouth.

This reminds me of the Wright Bros going to the patent office in 1905.

"We want to patent this thing that flies."

"You can't."

"Why?"

"It will not work. It does not work."

The Wright Brothers didn't apply for years after their 1903 flight, since they were a bit paranoid. They would have had to include detailed descriptions of their "flying machine" as well as photographs.

This is why it is possible to think theirs may not have been the first powered flight, since others are reported to have done so before them. (e.g. Whitehead, whose aircraft was actually inspected by the Wright Brothers before they made their own flight.) I frankly believe the Wright Bros weren't the first to fly. However, they were the first experimenters whose efforts actually led to continuous and successful development of the modern "aeroplane".

p.s. One popular tale is that Reagan was a believer in an extra-terrestrial threat, and that the shield was really meant to counter that, not the Rooshuns. With Reagan's "interesting" mind, it almost sounds plausible.

During WWII Germany developed incredible technological marvels. For instance Rail Guns were the largest guns ever made that took two parallel railroad tracks to move. I think they still hold the world record for the longest shot ever fired and were the first man made objects to reach outer space (the engineers actually had to compensate for the shell accelerating in the upper trajectory). But in the aftermath of the war they were considered a failure by the allies because they diverted huge resources away from what could have been used for much more effective battlefield technologies.

Similarly, I can't help but wonder about the legacy of this ineffective, expensive shield built for a threat that has never existed meanwhile more pressing issues on the battlefield go begging as our bravest soldiers are dying almost every day. This is madness.

Little known fact is Reagan did not give this project to the military, but rather created a brand new organization to build it because he knew the military would shelve it and use the money for something better.

Archived