Regional Costs of Living

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAMAK where did I mention whole of Isaan? I specified Udon and KK.

However I have been in most of the provinces - all except Mukdahan sadly for work so I base it on that.

I spend a lot of time working in Isaan - traveling about 15 000 km's through it last 12 months for example - I stay in Udon about 4 times a year even though we have two sites we work at about 100km's from Udon.

I visit Udon more than 8 times a year.

I stay in KK about 4 times a year also as well as visit it for work (not pass through) 8 times a year at least.

Clothing - slightly cheaper market at KK

Shop rental - cheaper Udon

Farang Friendly Bars - quite a number in Udon

Disco's and Thai friendly clubs - a LOT ore in KK

Hotel's - cheaper slightly higher quality in Udon (by about 10 -20%)

Tuk Tuk's and car rental - about the same but easier in KK if you look around.

However if you want to discuss other towns and comparisions I am happy to do that as well.

Gobble,

Up in Udon Thani here's a good place to eat and stay even. http://www.irishclock.com/ It is located on the soi directly behind the Tawan Daeng music club. Good food and booze in The Irish Clock (I have no connection other than eating there a few times). I stayed at a hotel nearby, but it seems this place has rooms as well for a good price. Excellent breakfasts, good staff, new pub decor of high quality, a really nice, pleasant, new and clean place to use.

On the same soi there are a few farang oriented bars, restaurants and pubs.

Check it out.

Cent

p.s. They also have free WIFI connection.

Udon can be very good short term but for all it's size, it is actually a small town sanuk wise. There are a few brothels, usually staffed by Lao girls but the bar scene is limited enough that one soon becomes known and the girl you want tonight wont go with you because you go with her friend last month.

It can be a very inexpensive place to live: decent houses can be rented for less that B10,000 and rooms less than B3000. I would factor in a B50 per sq. Meter a/c cost per month, it does get hot.

Low cost restaurants abound, there are even a few local golf courses. Udon has a highly rated hospital and a good university. All the major retail stores are there and there's a decent shopping mall.

Nong Khai, only 45 minutes north is a smaller but nice city with many resident ex-pats. Several years ago, a major western magazine rated it as one of the thirty best places to retire worldwide.

Vientiane, Laos is only 30 minutes away once you cross the border so there is variety around

In Bangkok, I live in a single, 75 s/m room a 15 minute walk or B20 moto taxi ride to the BTS. Rent, utilities, ADSL and cable tv all added come to about B10,000/m.

I was thinking about Nong Kai - it's not bad either - has all the big city stuff plut it is on the river.

Vientiane is thirty minutes from Udon - 2+ hours from KK. Another reason to like Udon - but for all that KK is far more livable.

g'day Norm,

If you have'nt spent time in either Pattaya or CM then you'd be wise to spend a couple of weeks in each before setting up. They are both quite different to each other and more affordable than BKK. If you like to ride a moto or have your own wheels then check out some of the eastern provs. Chiang Mai is more cultural and with less wankers, and generally safer than pattaya. Patts on the other hand is more of your party/ beach location, generally fun, plenty of pissheads/ trouble down in Patts which spoils it a bit.

depends more on what you prefer, not afford.

F-Aussie.

Gobble - I'd agree Udon is cheaper than KK - Is Udon more Farang friendly - Yes - but is it better place to visit or live - no

Guys, having just spent 4 days here in UT, I could not agree more with CTO on this. While I do have a hangover (left a disco at 2am - Thai rock band 'Mamba' really ripped into their set, BTW), and a few personal issues with the GTG I came here to meet, I just havent seen anything here that makes me think 'Yep, this is definitely the place for me !'. Nong Khai, or at least what I saw of it, seemed too small, and neither has that BKK buzz (a double-edged sword, but when I walk down a Soi off Suk, its usually with the expectation that I will see a shop/restaurant/whatever that I havent seen before).

I agree that I need to get out of the Falang ghetto, but does that mean moving to the town with the hottest summers and coldest winters (CM probably colder, but I can only go on what locals tell me) in Thailand ? Granted, visa runs to Laos are very accessible from here, but its also a long way from BKK/Pattaya - up to you ! :smirk:

Archived