Regional Costs of Living

There are a couple of current threads on costs of living but I am interested in comparisons of different places.

For my own budget, if I was looking at BKK, I would be looking at a modest studio within walking distance of SkyTrain/MRT. From what I've read, this could be done on 15 to 20 k baht. I would then want to live on 60 k baht a month in total. Included in this would be the occasional beer and female company as and when opportunity/finance allowed.

How would other places such as Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Phuket, Pattaya compare. Would I get more for the same money or could I spend less? (any savings made on accomodation etc would be spent on female company)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norm, this is a "how long is a piece of string question".

The key to cost of living anywhere in the world is how much rent do you want to pay.

If you find what you want for 20k a month then 60k should keep you comfortably anywhere in Thailand. Look at it as 2000 a day for food drink and nooky. Or 1000 a day for food and a couple of beers and two big nights out a week at 4000B for booze and nooky.

If you wanted to save $ and a nice studio as you describe can be had for 5000 - that's 10 000 saved without leaving Bangkok. thats 3 extra nights of nooky I think!

Same deal maybe - I don't know - in Pattaya - I never spend enough time there to know if it's cheaper. Drinks see to be.

KK is harder to find a variety of girls - better suited to those who wants a variety of gigs!

Chain Mai very possible as drinks a LOT cheaper than Bangkok and girls of variety abound

60K budget?

BKK: You already have some decent places where to stay (room + shower and toilets, clean and of course AC), right in a Sukhumvit soi at 8-12K bht/month.

Food: Eat at food stalls with the occasional mc do and pizza which can be had for 200-300 bht.

Count 5-6K for a month.

Occasional female: Read the board, but you should be able to get your total damage as low as 1500 or less for the night.

Pattaya: I do not know sin city, all I know is that accomodation is cheaper than bkk, food too and female company too.

KK: Been there 2 years ago for the last time, if you want nightlife like in BKK-PTYA then look elsewhere, accomodation and food lower costs than BKK.

CM: No idea but must be cheaper than BKK for sure

How would other places such as Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Phuket, Pattaya compare. Would I get more for the same money or could I spend less? (any savings made on accomodation etc would be spent on female company)

My impression is that apart from accomodation and nightlife, the costs are not that different from place to place. In places like Bangkok the lure of fancy restaurants, bars and other temptations can eat deep in to your budget. If your willpower is as limited as your budget, maybe better to stay in a place without to many temptations. Since you are not going to work, you will have many hours of free time to fill. If I was on a tight budget, myself I would stay somewhere on the outskirts with easy access to nature, not in the centre where most activities will cost money. Close to the comforts of the big city, but not to close...

Paillote

.... If your willpower is as limited as your budget, maybe better to stay in a place without to many temptations. Since you are not going to work, you will have many hours of free time to fill. If I was on a tight budget, myself I would stay somewhere on the outskirts with easy access to nature, not in the centre where most activities will cost money. Close to the comforts of the big city, but not to close...

Good advice. :thumbup:

I have it on good authority ( a mamasan, several taxi drivers and various Isaan working gals ...) that the cost of living in Udon Thani is significantly less than Khon Kaen, and the mamasan claimed the nightlife is better. Inevitably, when I ask my source where they are from, it isnt Khon Kaen ... My experience with 'college towns' is that the constant demand for accomm pushes prices up, but I dont any empirical evidence of that.

The really tough part of filtering any of this is that none of them are Farang, but 'room in Khon Kaen cost more than Udon' seems to be the consensus - I fly to UT tonight for a few days, so will report back with my impressions. BKK just seems to eat as many baht as I can extract from the numerous ATMs within walking distance of NEP and Cowboy, so anything will be an improvement right now :smirk:

Cheers,

Gobble

Archived