Air travel hard hit by rising oil price

Mentors

Mooers,

A surcharge is in fact a part of the fare component, and is commissionable. At some stage, airlines started putting it in the tax box on a ticket, therby making it non-commissionable (which I agree is of significant savings to the airlines), while still calling it a surcharge!

I've been out of the game and I can't pinpoint exactly when IATA and more surprisingly the USDOT allowed the airlines to charge surcharges as if they were taxes (I recall CX as being one of the first Asian airlines). Then you got the situation where you'd find a competitive fare on a travel website and you'd get a surprise when you hit the 'go' button, which left the websites scrambling to find a way to post an honest or total fare.

As far as the USDOT is non-concerned, it's probably due to de-regulation, but for decades they were opposed to surcharges or any kind of 'hidden charges' in general.

Whether they're put in the fare calculation or the tax box, I don't like fuel 'surcharges' because of the collusive way they're applied - international sector by sector, with the intention of all airlines participating on the sector agreeing. It's just a way of the airlines trying to level the playing field, as I see it, and what happens at IATA pricing meetings where this shit gets decided, is that the MAJOR airlines always have the heavy hand, even over airlines with home bases in oil rich countries. Tit for tat.

I just wish that the national airlines from countries with the advantages of low cost oil and labor weren't so corrupt. Then we'd really have some international competition. :smirk:

Let's all keep in mind, airlines are run by greedy incompetent fuck wits, who steal pensions and wages/benefits, and then take $40 million bonuses. None of this will stop until the government steps in, which won't happen, and or people stop flying which may have to happen if no one can afford it.

Reminds me of a joke...

guy goes to a bar, asks a girl to dance, she replies "what is your job and salary?" he replies "aircraft mechanic" SHe says "Fuck off" This goes on everynight for a week, until the bar tender says "Listen, women in this bar are gold diggers, they like men with power and money, say you are a CEO" so the next night the guy walks up to a woman, and says "lets dance" she says "what is you job and salary?" he replies "Airline CEO" she tears off her clothes and straddles his dick right there...and he bursts out laughing She says "What is so funny?" He says "I've been an airline ceo 2 seconds and already I am fucking someone..."

Soooooooo true!

OK, raise the airfares, add on the bogus fuel surcharge...ticket price has doubled.

Cut 25% of the flights and layoff a few thousans workers...the airline has just more then doubled their bottom line profit! brilliant!!!

Archived