Thai arrested for royal sit-down offence

JayT

What do you think is "pathetic" KS?

1) The woman's behavior?

2) Her fellow movie-goers reaction?

3) The police response (she's insane)

4) The lese majeste law?

5) That the cinema served coffee and donuts to the overworked coppers as they viewed the movie?

6) All of it? :)

And a stupid "first-time tourist" like me in July?

Would the police arrest me too?

(and of course I do not speak Thai or any other language besides French)

:confused::neener:

They might arrest you for your own protection. After all you are in a place for the first time, not knowing anything about local culture or customs and when everyone else in the theater stands up, you are too dim-witted to also do so.

:stupid:

I wonder what would happen to a sports fan attending any major sporting event in the USA who refused to stand during the hyper-nationalistic playing of "THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER" with the ubiquitous parade of wounded Iraq war veterans.

He'd be very lucky to escape with only a beer soaked shirt and hanging globs of spit...

Interesting point there, dddave, particularly when one remembers the furore caused by Sacha Baron Cohen in the film 'Borat' (much to the delight of the film makers no doubt) when he attended a rodeo and 'sang' the words to the 'Kazakstan national anthem' to the Star Spangled Banner. Not clever, but funny.

Now, in England, no such problem ever occurs. The attitude towards the national anthem is at best ambivalent. Ever seen any English national sports squad - the ones that look like tyre-fitters with learning difficulties - mouthing 'God Save the Queen'? It's kind of embarrassing. I think because it's such a dreary, dirgey, limp-along drone of a song.

Some sports fans say they would prefer to sing 'Rule Britannia' or 'Jerusalem' instead - much more rousing, they say (and I agree).

The conquered people of Scotchland also point to the 'hidden' verse of the National Anthem which contains a specific statement of intent to continue making their wee Jock lives as miserable as possible.

When I was younger - so much younger than today - I never needed to know when it was time to go to bed because when the telly 'finished' it would play the farty, draggy national dirge, so off I would go to bed for a wank whilst listening to John Peel. (Odd, but sort of true..)

So - the National Anthem of the Islamic Republic of Great Britain would not be so terribly missed.

Now, every working day, I stand along with everyone else to the Thai national anthem. And you know, it ain't bad. Quite a foot-tapper in fact. At 6pm I get it again on the telly.

And then on Friday (Yes!) I know the weekend starts here when the King's Anthem plays. I think it has a haunting quality and the first time I heard it I was wondering when it would end - not because of its length but because of it's interesting construction.

But, England - My England -that sad, sceptred, emasculated shadow of its former (G)reatness has nothing to stir the blood and foster national pride and identity. And, do you know why? Because it hasn't got any national pride and identity. It's been banned, legislated against and spoken of only in furtive whispers in dark corners.

Allah fucking Akhbar.

Singing the SBB before sporting events began during the patriotism of WWII. It was continued, since no one really wanted to be the first to abandon it. Nowadays, I can understand folks taking it more seriously.

But plenty of folks would like to replace it with "America the beautiful", which actually is peaceful and not sung to the tune of an 18th century English drinking song. :p

p.s. The SSB only became the national anthem under FDR's presidency.

I wonder what would happen to a sports fan attending any major sporting event in the USA who refused to stand during the hyper-nationalistic playing of "THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER" with the ubiquitous parade of wounded Iraq war veterans.

He'd be very lucky to escape with only a beer soaked shirt and hanging globs of spit...

You have witnessed this or read a news article? Can you provide a reference?

Guest lazyphil

ddave not long ago in las vegas some british plebloid boxing fans boo'd through the american anthem at the ricky hatton fight (v mayweather??, anyway he was a yank). they all left in one piece. no globs of spittle and such.

Archived