McCain offers $300 million prize for new auto battery

Flashermac

There is one problem with Nuclear Energy and that is the Shortage of Qualified Engineers. Being Ex Nuclear myself I have recieved emails from approx 100 employment agencies back in the UK asking about my availability and what terms and conditions it would take for me to re-enter the fold. Interesting times ahead.

Ok, China, India and Europe have them right? Start buying them away. This does to things, gets our program going, and fucks the others over, it is "The American way."

Seriously, we need to do what it takes to get this going, be it recruiting foreign help, offering education perks to potential student of nuclear engineering etc...

As for the dams BKK Traveler Mentioned, yes, use them if they are usable, any and ALL options should be explored, developed and used.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of how you view the proposal, it seems just one more smashing of the hoax that alternative energy was just around the corner. Oil prices go up not just a healthy 30%, but a whopping 300% and nothing is there to compete with it. All we get are subsidies and research to try to come up with something, but the promise of cleaner, greener, cheaper energy waiting in the wings has never seemed further from the truth.

O.k. great, batteries for zero emissions autos...cool...now what are we supposed to use to charge the battery? that energy has to come from somewhere right? So until we come up with an alternative energy source to charge the batteries, what good are they? This where Nuclear comes in.

Of course any alternatives to mid east oil, Nuclear, drilling in Anwar etc will not help for at least 10 years...so in the mean time we are still fucked.

Even the Sierra Club recommended going to nuclear power plants. A big turn-around. Recent developments have made them much safer.

Does he think that no one is working on this already??

In America we call this concept of offering a monetary payment for the development of a specific technology an " X Prize". X Prizes are thought by some people to work. That is' date=' they are expected by some to hasten the development of a technology more than it would be hastened by simply spending that same amount of money directly on developing that technology.

Are you familiar with the X Prize concept? What do you think of it?[/quote']

I have never heard of an X Prize but I have always felt that the government should do this sort of thing; a cash award for something that benefits people, or even tax cuts. If you spend money for training to upgrade your skills and get a better job it is not tax deductable. Even if the expense was to get a first job it is not deductable.

Yes, I think that X Prizes work.

O.k. great' date=' batteries for zero emissions autos...cool...now what are we supposed to use to charge the battery? that energy has to come from somewhere right? So until we come up with an alternative energy source to charge the batteries, what good are they? This where Nuclear comes in.

Of course any alternatives to mid east oil, Nuclear, drilling in Anwar etc will not help for at least 10 years...so in the mean time we are still fucked. [/quote']

Even the Sierra Club recommended going to nuclear power plants. A big turn-around. Recent developments have made them much safer.

I could be wrong, but I think the Sierra clubs current position is they are against Nuclear power, citing the waste and safety as the reason. Wasn't it Carterwho pushed for this years back?

Maybe they have changed their position recently but about two years ago I remember that they shocked a lot of people when they strongly recommended nuclear power plants. Germany (I believe) came up with a coolant that did not pick up radioactivity as water does, making the system much safer.

What do you know about this Mekong?

Archived