price of Airline tickets to rise on July 1

dean

I've been checking daily on one way flights to U .S., asa I have to buy 6 of them for October for my wife and kids. I called China Airline on wednesday, telling them I couldn't get a one way price from C.M. to LAX but could get a price from Bangkok. They suggested using a C.M. travel agency, Standard Tours on Chinagmai lane. They also told me that their prices would be going up on July 1, for my ticket the 2,150 baht price one way would go to 2,850 baht. Not wanting to pay an additional 56,000 baht, I confirmed with standard tours yesterday that the ticket was good for one year and there would be no charge if I had to change the date of departure (if the visas are not approved on July 21). They also told me that most of the airlines that they deal with would be raising their prices on July 1 substantially. Needless to say, I bought the tickets yesterday. By the way, standard tours (I used a travel agency because I was buying the tickets but not travelling with my wife, so I couldn't use a credit card, which has to be presented at check in) is a first class travel agency which got me one way tickets from C.M. to LAX for 20,400 baht and a ticket for my 7 month old son for 6,100 baht, a little less than what I would have paid China air on their website.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There comes a point with airfares that a business will say, "let's try out teleconferencing."

It's at that point that airlines will have to reevaluate their fare structure.

See Crandal, Robert, 1991 American Airlines Fare Simplification.

Has anyone here pulled a 747-400, A340, A380 etc up to the bowser and said "fill 'er up?"

If passengers say "no" and yields fall, ticket prices will continue to rise even further.

Fuel bills have doubled for airlines in the past year or so. Sure, I don't like what they do in the industry, in terms of disguising fares as "fuel surcharges" in order not to pay commissions, but anyone who thinks that airfares aren't going to rise in the current economic climate is living in Disneyland. :shakehead

MooNoi, as you say fares have gone up and will continue to do so. But there will come a time when more and more passengers will decide not to go? I think once you get to a certain point then the airlines will simply cut the number of flights. They can't continue to increase fares to silly levels as no point charging higher fares if the plane is empty? I see some airlines have already started to talk about cutting the number of flights. Plus also of course the overall number of flights has already been cut by numerous airlines going bust?

Simie.

Archived