price of Airline tickets to rise on July 1

dean

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The incremental cost per pax is still low. Take the A380 flying LHR-SIN for example. Say 100 pax are biz types, 100 EU bureaurats on a junket, plus cargo, and that leaves 250 seats that can be sold just above incremental costs.

The new generation that has grown up with IM, SMS, webcams, etc are very comfortable interacting with others over the web. As they move up the corporate ranks I expect biz trips to drop dramatically. This will save time and costs, and can be given the PR spin of being [color:green]GREEN[/color]. :)

CTO, your absolutely right that in real terms flights are far cheaper now than they where 30 years ago. But these days people have got used to being able to get cheap flights and secondly, 30 years ago there was'nt anything like the amount of air traffic around the world we have now.

Simie.

I think ShyGye nails it - I regularly spend hours in technical discussions with people around he globe on teleconferences - even skype at times - as those services get better - they are cheap enough now - the generation of engineers sales etc that grew up with using MSN/Chat/Skype etc will use this instead of traveling REGARDLESS how cheap or expensive it is

Yes ..the holiday travelers maybe ..but the Business traveler still have to travel ...

TB

I have to disagree with you here since my own experiences back up what Shygye and CTO are saying. Even up until 2 years ago it was not unknown for me to spend a day travelling to Korea have a half day meeting and then the third day flying back, whereas nowadays Teleconf and VDOConf have mostly replaced this. Usualy only the Kick-Off Meeting is done face to face where the contractual and technical issues are validated and from then on in its all done remote.

Another change is Service Engineers, again up until 2-3 years ago if there was a problem on one of the sites we would have to fly a service engineer in from half way around the world but nowadays with the computerised control systems and the data collection / historisation we have, we can allow service engineers to analyse the systems from remote and make their recommendations for proposed resolutions, saves time and saves money (lost production is a lot more than airfares)

The only downside, I have lost my Gold Status with Royal Orchid and now only Silver :(

Archived