hiv / aids tests and such

PhilAnders

HIV is the precursor to AIDS. HIV can be detected a few weeks after acquiring it, normally after seroconversion occurs...around 6 weeks seems to be average. You can infect someone with HIV during this time and forever afterwards.

AIDS is what occurs upto 10 years after, depending on an individuals health (t-cell count etc).

Are you concerned about something? Check the post started by our absent friend Junglesoup, it has lots of links.

HIV is the precursor to AIDS. HIV can be detected a few weeks after acquiring it, normally after seroconversion occurs...around 6 weeks seems to be average. You can infect someone with HIV during this time and forever afterwards.

AIDS is what occurs upto 10 years after, depending on an individuals health (t-cell count etc).

Are you concerned about something? Check the post started by our absent friend Junglesoup, it has lots of links.

i was asking out of curiosity, thinking about budda who has said he went bareback.

i was under the impression that an hiv test may not detect anything for up to ten years.

i was aware that aids may not develop out of hiv for a very long period of time, if ever. isn't magic johnson still hiv + without having had it develop into aids, yet?

cheers

HIV is detectable after seroconversion (around 6 weeks).

Full blown AIDS may take upto 10 years to develop. Anti-virals are successfully delaying the onset of AIDS for many people. Magic and others are taking anti-virals which keep HIV at bay, but that's it. There's a lot of individual differences at play. Some have such low HIV counts that they appear to be HIV free (but aren't). It hides out in the body. Others succumb rapidly.

Dems da fax, afaik.

Some have such low HIV counts that they appear to be HIV free (but aren't). It hides out in the body. Others succumb rapidly.

Dems da fax, afaik.

then this is the point, isn't it?

someone may test negative for HIV but still have it and then still be able to give it to others. :sad:

The more common situation is that HIV is spread by people who practice unsafe sex and do not get tested at all. They don't know, or don't want to know.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make, but you seem concerned about this. If you are worried that you might have been infected, just get tested. If this was a one time deal with a girl of unknown status, the odds are on your side.

• 2 weeks later...

If someone has it, it will come up on the test within 3 weeks. I went for a test last year and thats what they told me.

Its the antibodies in the bllod cells which they test for. You cannon have it and it not be detected.

Some people can live with HIV and nothing happen to them, maybe that is the case with magic johnson.

STH

If someone has it, it will come up on the test within 3 weeks. ...

Some people can live with HIV and nothing happen to them, maybe that is the case with magic johnson.

STH

Actually, if contracted, most will test positive in a month, however for some it can take many months before the virus can be detected and test positive.

In the case of Magic Johnson and others (including one very high profile Thai dignitary), if you have enough money for the expen$ive AIDS drugs you can hold the virus at bay indefinitely.

Archived