USA owes other countries more then what other countries owe combined!

Bangkoktraveler

Just to comment on the OP:

I think the number could be misleading, like these things often are. I think you can find a factoid to make any country look bad.

The definition says debt owed to non-residents, and frankly, what does that mean? If the government uses a bridge loan against cash inflow -- and the lowest bidder is a Japanese bank, non-resident in the USA (ie not headquartered in the USA) that might count toward the total. And that is just an example of the public debt -- private individuals can borrow from whomever they want - in the USA or outside - and sometimes it makes sense to borrow funds - like when you want to buy an apartment in Bangkok but you get a loan from the Singapore branch of Bangkok Bank, hey that is external debt too. Now consider a corporation like Coca-cola who owns a business in Thailand but takes a loan from Bangkok bank to build a new plant. I think that counts too.

Just to say that you might be right, but there are also other explanations. It might be something to do with economic "power" with USA, UK, Germany, France being at the top, as opposed to some calculation of weakness.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that name calling to anyone goes down well, in person or online.

When the name calling is directed towards someone that responds to other posters with name calling and otherwise obnoxious and disparaging remarks I think one might make an exception.

I don't think that name calling to anyone goes down well, in person or online.

Sure we have to listen to some serious crap from people we don't agree with but I think that personal abuse should be left out of it.

Except Rogueyam of course.

Ahh gee, all right, Torneyboy.

I agree, but was just curious as to why HH was said to be someone you wouldn't use rude names with, if you met him....why is he so special?

Wasn't me that said that Faustian, I think is was Phil.

If I called a bloke a prick online I'd do it to his face regardless of any physical superiority he may have over me.

If you have to look into the mirror the next day it's better to see a black eye than a coward.

Archived