Hassles Turn Travelers Away

JayT

Hassles turn travelers away from flying

By Bob Dart - Cox News Service

Washington - Frustrated American travelers avoided making 41 million trips on commercial planes over the past year because of the hassle of air travel, a survey released by the travel industry found.

These missed trips cost the U.S. economy more than $26 billion and most travelers believe the problems are getting worse, according to the poll sponsored by the Travel Industry Association.

"The air travel crises has hit a tipping point - more than 100,000 travelers each day are voting with their wallets by choosing to avoid trips," said Roger Dow, president and CEO of TIA.

The frustrations frequently mentioned included long lines for check-in and security screening, flight delays and cancellations, and problems with checked and take-on baggage.

The survey showed that the more people fly, the less they like it.

More than half the trips would have been for leisure.

They're certainly right about "the more people fly the less they like it".

The cost to the economy is right there and they're going to have to do something about in your face security.

It occurred to me that some sort of frequent flyer fast lane might work once they had peoples ID on file.

I fly frequently, and even as an employee, I am treated like shit. It makes NO fucking sense to me what so ever, that I have a ramp access I.D. can walk onto these airplanes to perform maintenance, yet if I want to board the same plane, via the gate, I am treated like a criminal.

1 hour+ security lines with what seems like NO organization at all are also annoying. The fast track system they are supposed to implementing doesn't seem any better. "Clear Pass" I think it is called, also is NOT available at very many airports...and oddly, why should you have to pay to be treated better, or to not have to wait in line? It seems if they allocated those resources to the general public, ALL the lines would move that much faster.

I liked the story of a Captain who was found with a nail file in his bag and told he could not take it on the aircraft as "he might take control with it."

They still refused to let him take in on board when he said he was the pilot.

My cousin was flying his own aircraft (v. small) and had to leave via the air terminal (rather than the aeroclub) because he was early. He had a belt tool kit type pouch and was told he could not take it through: but when he protested they said they would put in on board.

So he walked across to his aircraft with a man following him carrying his tool kit.

That is just it, the rules are just so god damned out of control stupid that it has fucked up everything. Sad is, the logic is "...it must be working, as we haven't had more attacks..." but the chuckle fucks don't see the other side "...it obviously worked before, because we weren't attacked before...so what went wrong on 911?" I mean how far out are we going to take this until we realize how stupid we are being?

I wonder what would hapen if everybody put a really large tube of KY inside their carry-ons and also pulled out each one of their pockets, a tube of KY?

Say "Guten Morgen" to one of these jerks, and they are about ready to jump on you, figure it out.

I would not be surprised if DHS has thought of putting on shock collars on travelers so the travelers will give them less shit.

Archived