Panthip Plaza

Two weeks ago I bought 2 DVD's for the first time at panthip for 250 each-absolute garbage, they both went straight in the bin. Lord of the rings was terrible quality,no better than VCD if that. Tomb raider was in thai and the picture kept breaking up. I think I will stick to VCD's from scorpion they are genuine and 80-110 baht.

The computer discs I have bought, must be 60 or 70 have all worked except one. One thing I will not buy copies of is thai music, not fair to the performers and the originals are cheap anyway.-peter

quote:

Originally posted by Shola:

So, what is the deal? Apparently there are many fake conterfeit DVDs ("fake counterfeit" - pretty funny). Does this experience hold true for everyone, or is this an isolated incident?

Further, does this experience also hold true for computer programs?

Point: If a person decides to purchase such DVDs or computer programs, can they expect them to work properly and be of good quality?

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: Peter G ]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, what is the deal? Apparently there are many fake conterfeit DVDs ("fake counterfeit" - pretty funny). Does this experience hold true for everyone, or is this an isolated incident?

Further, does this experience also hold true for computer programs?

Point: If a person decides to purchase such DVDs or computer programs, can they expect them to work properly and be of good quality?

Any information is greatly apprrecitated.

One more thing... is there a DVD player at these stnads/stores where you can test the goods before purchasing?

I've just bought 10 DVD from Panthip and am, very pleased with the quality, I can select subtitles in 4 languages, English Thai, Malay and Chinese. Pleasantly surprised.

They have apparently given up on the Thai made copies and now get them from malaysia and Hong Kong.

Just thought I'd share my experience of Panthip merchandise.

Over the last few trips I've been to Panthip every time and bought things. The worse deal in there is surely the KFC on the ground floor. Ugh.....

As for the other stuff, well all the software I've bought has worked fine. Always and without exception. The software has to be the best thing about Panthip 'cos I've saved myself a shedload of money by taking stuff home from there.

The games though are a slightly different matter. Mainly I've bought mods and updates for Half-Life/Counterstrike (the Thai's are mad about this game) which has worked out fine 'cos I've got a registered copy of Half-Life/Counterstrike on my PC and can just load everything into that file. With other games you'll have to crack the CD which is a pain in the ass although some Panthip merchants are beginning to give written instructions out with the CD's.

VCD's are the worst deal. I've had a few that were OK but most have been crappy. The funniest are when they have a tape made IN a cinema so you hear people coughing and even see their shadows over the screen as they stand up to go for a piss!!

One thing you should be aware when you say NOT FAIR TO THAI PERFORMERS is the record companies aren't fair to Thai performers. They make no money from sales, ie zilch commission. They make their money from from a one off payment for making the studio recording and concerts, thats why mosty of them are on the road all the time. So you should buy counterfeit copies just to piss off the money grabbing companies...

Also why do you think that Thai performers should get preferential treatment in the treatment of their product, totally hippocratic.

Rictic, it is not universal that Thai performers are not paid royalties on sales. Many of them are -- I know this for a fact. Buying counterfeit items puts money only in the hands of the money-grubbing counterfeiters, who pay no royalties or taxes to anyone.

If you want to save yourselves more money and have a friend going down to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, DVD's there go for around RM10 to RM12 per piece. Half to one third the price in Bangkok! VCDs are about RM5. These are available at Sungai Wang Plaza (equivalent of the MBK in Bangkok)!

Archived