Panthip Plaza

Thanks, one more question then will the taxi driver understand me and know where to go when I say Panthip? I've had problems with taxi drivers before either not understanding or acting like they don't understand. Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like a little adventure and don't mind walking a bit, why not take the Sky Train route.

Skytrain from Nana to Ratchadathewi (all Sukhumvit line). Go downstairs and make a right and head for the far side exit. When you get off you will see Hollywood IT mall right there. Walk through down the mall and take a left. This takes you to Petchaburi Rd. Before you get there, you will see a small IT mall that is not near as big as Panthip Plaza but still has a lot of stuff.

If you don't find what you want, continue to Petchaburi Rd., turn right and walk to Panthip Plaza. It will be about 0.5-0.75 km down on your right.

The great thing about this route is that if Hollywood IT happens to have what you're looking for, you don't have to hassle with the crowds at Panthip Plaza.

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

And one more tip, for whatever it's worth....

When you're buying software, including movies and MP3's, look for stands run by women. Panthip is a haven for Thai male teenagers and twenty-somthings who really don't like foreigners very much, particular male foreigners, and it's not unusal for the resentment to manifest itself in a degree of unpleasantness.

My own experience is that the female vendors are more like to be well deposed toward white males, and that dealing with a woman makes it more likely that your purchase will be a non-event, or even possibly pleasant. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's not a bad rule of thumb to follow.

Thank you all for advice, greatly appreciated. Hey not5150 I will arrive on wednesday 23 Jan, I'll leave a message at the desk. Also, good site. Your first occupation is my current occupation. See you soon.

Cary

If you are staying at Majestic Suites on Sukhumvit, Lamock Chokaprret's suggested route to Nana is probably the fastest way to Panthip Plaza. If you take a taxi from Sukhumvit, you will end making right on Ratchadermri by World Trade Center to reach Pechtburi, and traffic is always very bad here (at least when I am driving.) (Note: if you drive, be careful at the corner of

Ratchadmermri and Pechtburi, because the police are notorious for extorting money from farangs here - an little item of corruption that the New Social Order seems to have overlooked.) When you are walking down Pechtburi toward Panthip Plaza you will also pass the Indonesia Embassy; in other words, don't think you have missed Panthip when you reach the Indonesia Embassy - it is still a bit futher down.

On the way back from Panthip, take a taxi. It is much faster on the way back because of the one way street system in Bangkok. Unless you are carrying something heavy, cross Pechtburi (the street fronting Panthip Plaza) using the pedestrian bridge, and catch a taxi on Pechtburi on the opposite side of Panthip. From that side of Pechtburi, it is usually a clean shot down Pechtburi to Soi Nana Nua (Soi 3), where the taxi should turn right to take you to Sukhumvit. If you are not carrying any heavy, have the taxi driver stop at the corner of Soi 3 (across from Soi 4, Nana, a sight you will probably recognize) and walk across Sukhumvit or have him stop at the Nana BTS station and cross Sukhumvit there using the pedestrian overpass.

Incidentally, OldAsiaHand's comment is spot on. Remember, there is a tremendous amount of resentment since farangs are quite obviously "the cause of all of Thailand's economic problems." Seriously, the Thai government has been running a propaganda program with that message, and many middle class Thais, particularly underemployed 20ish Thai males, believe the message. Unlikely there will be any serious problems, but just be mindful of the current political environment here in Thailand.

I know I've seen a few posts about Panthip Plaza and shopping but I can't remember how to get there. I'm staying at Majestic Suites what is the best way to get there? Taxi, Sky Train? Thanks in advance.

Cary

Archived