PIER 59

drogon

Banyan tree hotel, 59th floor.

Settings:

I love the settings, intimate, trendy but classy.

Nice tables but chairs were not accomodating to my bottom.

Nice view on the city

Food: Great western seafood, if you are looking for fish/seafood from your native western country then look no further.

Excellent food and some quite audacious combinations. Only downside was the Scottish Salmon which had a sauce (luckily presented separatly from the salmon) which was not a good combination. (too acid for a salmon)

Went there with my girlfriend, one of her office friend.

Service: Great, very knowledgeable and really polite but still some "rookies", the German restaurant manager keeps a close eye on everything and works very hard to make "his" venture work.

Wine: Great list with low prices, the staff really knows well the wine list and the meals.

Prices: As expected you do not get a Maine lobster for free in Bangkok.

I think the bill was about 12k for 3 which is very reasonnable even by BKK standards.

Warning: Do not go there on a rainy day, rain started and the restaurant which was very quiet (just 4 tables occupied) turned into a very busy strange place.

All customers from vertigo (the ones wanting to eat and not leave the hotel during the rain) went downstairs.

Result: Many couples of: Farang + obvious bargirl, staff from vertigo trying to find its mark in this new venue. German manager doing his best to soften things etc...

Great place to go eat western fish with your loved one, do not take an uneducated bargirl there, she will feel really uncomfortable (bit like if you take her to le Normandie)....

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of staying here in the late 80's and early 90's when it was part of the Westin chain.

Probably the best spa I've ever used in the cutout.

All the rooms were nice suites(Westin assoc.rate$20)

Always ended night at the top floor bar where they did the best tableside Irish Coffee.

Ah the memories,even Patpong was a blast in those days.

Archived