Is the Thai Medical Really good?

cavanami

Over the years I have become very, very careful with Thai doctors.

Way too many are very poor doctors.

Even the big, well advertised hospitals, have websites that proclaim the poor medical service(s) that had been obtained at certain hospitals.

Huge problem in Thailand is that there is extremely little that you can do in the way of legal action against a doctor or a hospital. I know some have tried and mostly got nowhere.

So, yes, looking at the cost is not a valid method to select a doctor or a hospital, IMO.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion of Thai docs is pretty low. Poor diagnostic, indiscreet. Hand out antibiotics like candy.

Went to Bumrungrad, suppose to be the "best" hospital in Thailand. They were VERY indiscreet, all kinds of people walking up and looking at my chart. Talking about my medical problems out loud in front of other patients.

I filled out an official complaint form, including my e-mail address. Was told I would be e-mailed with an official reply withing 10 or so days. I did hear from them--they put me on their e-mail newsletter SPAM list!!! But I never heard back from admin about my complaint.

That's the last time I visited there.

Been to Ramativide. My daughter, THREE weeks old at the time, had a fever--not very high, just routine, but it was the first time she was sick, so we wanted to be sure. They wanted to give her a SPINAL TAP!!! I asked why, they said "she has a fever, it could be meningitis". I asked them, "well, couldn't it just be a germ she's never had before, since she's a NEW human being?". Their reply, "well, uh, yes."

The best I've seen is Mission Hospital, also called Adventist Hospital. Run by the Seventh Day Adventists. Love their "velvet" pictures of Jesus standing behind the surgeons (I kid you not), in the main lobby.

They are professional, discreet, and there is a definite air of responsibility, professionalism--I found it very comforting.

Who claims US produces the best med docs on the planet?

My father was professor "anatomie pathologique" at UCL (Universtite Catholique Louvain, Belgium) and he had many American students. He claimed US eduction was bad.

But they did teach me English :o

Two bumrungrad cardiologist I know also studied at UCL.

As mentioned by others here diagnostic by Thai doctors in general is poor.

A friend had a bad moto accident, got surgery at Phyathai II, very bad job, will never walk normally again. My son had a very bad moto accident also, they did a good job at UCL. He will walk the rest of his life with a metal pin in his leg, the OTHER pins were removed though

The diagnostics are terrible, I would say. I attribute it to the Thai way of thinking (or not thinking, don't think too mutt).

I see the docs wanting to do this, that and the other test and hoping that something will jump out at them.

My last go around, they wanted to do a 17K baht MRI test for something completely unrelated...OK, I was out of there in a NY minute and off to another doc and hospital.

I like it when the doc told me..."this is normal" and then I asked him, "if this is normal, then why have I never had it for xx years?"

Got the "deer in the headlights" empty stare. I told the tee rak that I wouldn't bring a soi dog to this hospital!!!

I would never say the USA has the best docs but from what I have seen this year, they are a hell of a lot better then what I have seen in LOS...so far!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the USA has the best medical care available anywhere in the world. Problem is, only the rich can afford the good doctors. The rest of us get to play healthcare lottery and hope for the best.

Only experience I've had with Thai hospitals and doctors was for a cosmetic procedure a few years back. It turned out fine, but I wasn't impressed with the service. If I needed a major medical procedure I don't think I'd even consider going to Thailand simply because there's little to no recourse if something goes wrong.

take the case of PERIODONTOLOGY. Board certification is important there. BUT, the American Academy of Perio.provides absolutely no way to verify, or see a list, of it's board certified members (called "diplomates").

A number of docs with current diplomates in their specialty don't bother to have them listed with the ABMS, as they charge 200/year for the listing.

Usually to maintain both the medical license and any diplomate status, a doc is required to attend a minimum amount of hours (# of hours depends on the specialty) of Category-1 Continuing Medical Educations (CME) classes. These classes, provided by the many private, but certified, companies offer weekend and evening seminars throughout the year, in the various specialties. Depending on the docs specialty, they may be required to attend anywhere from 20-70 Cat-1 CME hours/year.

Usually specialty certification is required every 7-10 years. These usually consist of lengthy Self-Education/Self Assessment test (usually multiple choice); often for 1-2-days. Exams are offered/administered, by the various specialty groups, in various cities throughout the US.

Most (maybe all) specialties have dropped the 2-day 'on-site' practical exams are they are cost prohibitive.

Archived