Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick To Resign in Plea Agreement

rogueyam

Syndicated leftist columnist Leonard Pitts Jr. (who happens to be black) has really knocked one out of the park on the subject of the former mayor of Detroit. I don't agree with Mr. Pitts very often but I have to give him credit on this one.

Defending the indefensible

By Leonard Pitts Jr.

The Miami Herald

September 12, 2008

An excerpt:

"In an April column, I excoriated the mayor for playing upon African America's reflexive tendency to rally in defense of any one of us who gets in trouble. But that's only part of the problem here. It's not just that someone played black folks, but that black folks keep letting themselves be played.

Truth is, we get played like checkers any time any high-profile one of us is caught in scandal or sin. From Michael Jackson to O.J. Simpson to Tawana Brawley to Mike Tyson to Marion Barry to Kilpatrick, lying his natural backside off in court, we keep proving pathetically susceptible to manipulation by any brother or sister who says white folks have done him or her wrong â?? especially if they invoke God a few times for good measure.

There's an axiom that goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. But what about fool me 87 times? What about, fool me like the nerdy kid with the "kick meâ? sign taped to his back?

What happens when you get fooled like that? I'll tell you what should happen. You should say, Enough. You should evolve the social and political maturity, the common sense and the plain self-respect to stop letting yourself be used like a dishrag."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived