Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick To Resign in Plea Agreement

rogueyam

Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick To Resign in Plea Agreement

By KATE LINEBAUGH

September 4, 2008

DETROIT -- Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick agreed to resign Thursday after pleading guilty to two felony counts in a deal with prosecutors, ending six-month-long legal saga that had all but paralyzed the city.

The 38-year-old, two-term mayor agreed to spend 120 days in jail, to pay the city $1 million in restitution, and to give up his pension benefits. He will resign office immediately. City Council President Kenneth Cockrel Jr. will assume the mayor's responsibilities until the city elects a new mayor.

"I lied under oath," Mr. Kilpatrick said in court. His resignation will take effect within no more than 14 days.

Link

Why it seems only yesterday...

Barack Obama: "You're Doing a Heckuva Job, Kwame" (

)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:red]"Mr. Kilpatrick's troubles began in January when the Detroit Free Press published text messages between the mayor and his former chief of staff, Christine Beatty, that appeared to contradict their sworn testimony in a whistleblower trial last year that they didn't have an affair. That led Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy to bring the first felony charges including perjury against him in March. Weeks ago, the state attorney general filed two more felony assault charges against the mayor for shoving a police detective.

The mayor denied romantic involvement with the aide in a suit last year in which fired police officers alleged they had been dismissed for investigating the mayor for, among other things, using his security staff to cover up the alleged affair."[/color]

Another no brainer prosecution. If I ask Larry Craig [color:red]"Have you ever hung around gloryholes or have fondled other men?"[/color] in front of his wife, his answer will also be [color:red]"NO!"[/color]

That Kwame saga has been unbelieveable. A Hollywood movie would be panned for being too contrived if it ever came out about this shit: hookers and blow in the mayor's mansion, strippers assassinated by police under the order of the mayor's wife, police heads fired because of investigating it, the text message love affair thing. If it weren't my hometown, I'd be laughing. Well, I still am laughing, but it is sad too.

Good riddance Kwame!

Cheers,

SD

Good riddance Kwame!

Kwame's far from done. If Marion Barry can do his time and then come back and win an election then why not Kwame? This is just another example of the White Man taking down a righteous and proud Black Brother and there is no reason that the People of Detroit need allow this to stand! Free Kwame! No justice, no peace!

Archived