UNCTAD chief confident of economic fundamentals

elef

Bangkok Post

08-09-2008

Link

UNCTAD chief confident of economic fundamentals

The Thai economy remains strong and able to continue growing in the long run despite the short-term impact of the current political turmoil, according to United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) secretary-general Supachai Panichpakdi.

He conceded that foreigners are concerned with the ongoing political unrest in Thailand and do not want to see the problem drag on.

A survey on opinions of Asian investors about Thailand's economic fundamentals, which was made one year before the political rally began, showed that most investors viewed the Thai economy had a sound structure and a good potential for growth after that of China.

Dr Supachai said that international business observers are closely monitoring what direction political developments in Thailand will take.

He allowed that the government's imposition of the State of Emergency Decree last week would undermine confidence among international tourists planning to visit Thailand, but said that it is the responsibility of Thai embassies and consulates to explain the situation to foreigners and investors so that they properly understand the situation.

In the long term, the UNCTAD chief said, Thailand still has the economic potential to compete with other countries.

A study on the impacts of the political situation on the Thai economy found that foreign investors did not pay attention to the economy in the short run, but instead preferred to invest in the long run.

Dr Supachai said he believed Thailand's macro-economy would continue growing steadily given its competitive fundamentals and sound long-term structure.

"Once the trade talks in the Doha round under World Trade Organisation (WTO) supervision ends, the Thai economy will be boosted by the farm product market liberalisation.

"Many production and export-oriented countries including Brazil and Thailand will benefit because prices of commodities in the world market are expected to rise after a slight drop this year," he said.

"In case a world food crisis erupts," Dr Supachai said, "Thailand, as a major food exporter will have an advantage because it has a sound policy to promote the agricultural sector. Members of UNCTAD have put the policy adopted by Thailand into practice." (TNA)

UNCTAD isn't a thai organisation. I try to post news good or bad about thai economy. Thai economy is bad now bad it's better than in USA, UK and rest of EU.

Some guys here always predict disaster in thai economy (for years). Sorry to say but IMO this isn't based on fundamentals, but a combination of what they want to happen (fear could happen maybe) + reflections of their personal situations.

Has anyone EVER read a report from a Thai economist that was not rosy?

UNCTAD

United Nations Conferance on Trade and Devevelopment

Some people just like yourself try to knock Thailand at every opportunity, if it is that bad why not fuck off elsewhere, Thailand would be better off without pricks like you!

Geez, Mekong! Put down that second cup of coffee!

It was a legitimate question. Has anyone ever heard a Thai economist say anything critical about the Thai economy? I, for one, have not.

Oh, and BTW, I have decided to have my company do buisness in Thailand for the past 7 years, and I employ well over 200 people in the kingdom. I rather doubt they would like me to fuck off elsewhere.

"Thailand would be better off without pricks like you! "

uh..uh... I'm sure Thailand or the world is much better off with junky killing oil foring MNC leading Pattaya version of marvel superheroes like Mekong than litle pricks like Rchapsticks

At least Mekong is convinced about that :wave:

Archived