Bangkok ~ Vientiane

Coss

CTO, I know hardy backpacker types walk across that bloody endless bridge to save a few baht, but I cant remember anywhere else in Thailand where the tropical sun beat down so hard on me as it did over the Mekong on our day trip from Udon. I gladly paid a guy with a bus to deliver us through Customs - he queue-jumped everyone and had us in Vientiane in record time : worth every baht IMO.

I'm not a fan of the train : the tracks seem to have been laid by epileptics. There were times when I swear our driver was negotiating something resembling a 90 degree right angle : all at a stately 40km/h for much of the night. Add the afore-mentioned chain smokers in the corridor, and it didnt take much to have me at the Nok Air counter at Udon Thani airport on the return leg.

Gobble

>Really? The return trip from Vientianne markets to Udon needs no visa beforehand <

That's because you don't need time to wait for a Thai visa, just get your passport stamped. Udon to Vt if you don't have a Lao visa can take 15-45 minutes wait at the border for a visa, depending on time of day, and the bus doesn't want to wait that long. can't blame them. Last time I did it it was empty and still took 15 mins.

So travelling 30 minutes to a Embassy - then an hour - is btter than 15 minutes wait at the border crossing - which (as I am organizizzized) I spend eating Baguettes and drinking the first Beer Laos of the day - secret is to have wife go ahead - but the Beer and baguettes walk back through the border with them.

And no one has ever said anything :) most porous border I have ever seen

Archived