Bangkok ~ Vientiane

Coss

I frequently take the train: leaves Hualampung around 8pm and arrives in Nong Kai about 9am if all goes well. I have been as much as 3 hours late which really screws things up if you want to drop a passport at the consulate for a 60 day visa. They stop accepting applications at 11am.

Since I usually travel alone, a 2nd class lower berth is quite comfortable. Upper berths are somewhat cramped and confining.

The 1st class roomettes are OK if you have somebody with you, otherwise you can find some chain smoking, belching chinese joining you sometime in the middle of the night as I once did. Also; 1st class berths are perpendicular to the direction of travel, thus every time the train accelerates or slows, you are rolled back and forth. 2nd class berths are parallel to the line of travel and have less motion.

Be sure to book in advance, especially for a lower berth. About B750, 2nd class

i'D DO THAT IF IT WAS A DAY TIME TRIP SO i COULD TAKE IN THE VIEW - i LOVE train trips and hate caps lock!

There used to be a train get into Udon about 5 or 6 pm. I know because I used to pick it up at Khon Kaen about 3pm after doing a Lao visa run to the consulate there.

Archived