Another Great Depression ?

gobbledonk

OK, commentators have been talking up the subprime crisis for at least 12 months, but some of the stuff they are coming out with now are truly scary. As one pointed out tonight, the 5 biggest investment banks on Wall St all survived the dot bomb crash, 9/11, 1987's crash etc : 3 of those 5 have been taken out by subprime. Add a government bailout for Fannie Mae, the imminent collapse of AIG (in an industry where everyone is in bed with everyone else) and dire predictions of more pain to come - the question I would ask is "what will it take for them to start using the dreaded 'D' word ?". I doubt that too many board members experienced the 1930s Depression era (thankfully) but it definitely left its mark on my mother's generation. Its difficult to imagine that it could ever get that bad again, but history has a nasty habit of repeating itself. Hopefully, this thing will run its course within the coming 6-9 months.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Every morning, when you look in the mirror, I want you to think 'What am I going to do today to increase the money supply?'..." John Ehrlichman, assistant to Richard Nixon, apparently speaking to Charles Pardee, a Federal Reserve governor,sometime in the early 1970s

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article4075.html

Archived