More Aussie Culture Exported

Julian2

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed but one of our finest culinary treats requires no cooking. Probably one of our best kept secrets is Hacelet, can also be spelt Haslet. This is to English food what Haggis is to Scottish food and a rare treat barely available outside of real butchers and darkest Lincolnshire.

Wikipedia describes it quite accurately as:

a herbed pork meatloaf, originally from Lincolnshire in England. It is typically made of stale white bread, pork (traditionally the entrails), sage, salt and pepper, and sometimes onion.

A smattering of mustard or better yet Picalili(sic) and a large piece of Stilton cheese and you have a the foundation of an outstanding meal.

Damn, now I'm hungry!

No wonder my ancestors left England

Mine were asked to leave, but that's OK - no member of my family has ever expressed any desire to return. I wonder how many generations of kiddies from other European nations feel the same way about the 'old country' ? Highly amusing when the Greek lads go back for a holiday and find themselves drafted for national service. :neener:

I'd love to live in England ... if I could afford it.

<< Highly amusing when the Greek lads go back for a holiday and find themselves drafted for national service. >>

My grandmother had a friend who'd been born in Germany a few years before his family emigrated to the US. The guy visited his grandparents in 1939 - and got conscripted when the war broke out! He spent all of WWII in feldgrau and then had the fun of explaining to US authorities why a guy from Chicago had been in Adolf's army. :p

Black Pudding

Bubble 'n Squeak

Bangers

:D

i have no wish to try Black Pudding,never have but not to say that Millions don't love the stuff.

same as Haggis,the ingredients make me gag and i have no wish to try.

Bubble'n Squeak is a masterpiece...... :thumbup:

Bangers with mash is a must with a rich onion sauce........ :)

i can't cook that well,simple dishes i can manage.

but i do cook a mean roast lamb with all the trimmings............

my one claim to fame...............

TB said.

How can you mess up ..throwing everything in the deep fryer...

i rarely use a fryer.

i like grilled fish or oven cooked meat,very rare thst i have fried food.

eggs have to be fried sometimes as do chips.

but i have no say in the matter if i have a takeaway.............

Archived