Deadly box jellyfish found in Thai waters

waerth

The discovery of a box jellyfish _ one of the most poisonous in the world _ in Thai waters has prompted the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to set up a team to study its origin and behaviour to prevent attacks. Somchai Bussarawit, the chief of the museum and aquarium at the Phuket Marine Biological Centre, said there has never been any reports of this type of box jellyfish being found in Thai waters before.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/171008_News/17Oct2008_news05.php

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be very surprised if it's just "turned up" in recent years.

Wiki says they're indigenous to most tropical waters, maybe there's been other attacks that just weren't reported.

If I remember correctly they're seasonal in Australia with beaches closed in many areas at certain times of the year.

Guessing further south than that - Mackay. I got hit by one in Townsville as a kid. Oh the pain. Still remember it vividly.

Many years later I asked my mum what was the liquid they poured over me (when I was lying face down) that took away all the pain.

She burst out laughing - they stuck 2 needles in my arse she said. Whatever drug it was it was damned good.

They don't attack as such but move with the currents and wind. Yep they are seasonal. Summer months when one most wants to go for a swim. Bad buggers.

cheers,

Mark

Box jellyfish move by themselves (contrary to most of their "colleagues") and they tend to prefer shallow coastal waters.

They can be deadly, especially if you get caught while swimming -> you will simply drown.

I first learned about this kind of deadly animals

when I read Sherlock Holms the lion's mane...

Terrific animal.

Only and best solution to avoid more pain is vinegar then retrieve the remaining tentacles with a tissue (not with fingers)

I remember watching a national geographic documentary about some survivors, really a dangerous animal but I wonder if I would not prefer dying rather than suffering for so long...

A good reason for me to prefer a swimming pool in Thailand rather than the sea.

Archived