Deadly box jellyfish found in Thai waters

waerth

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These jellyfish are small and translucent. You would not be able to see them.

Periodically, the lifeguards drag a net along the beach. If they find any stingers, they'll close the beach. I'm not usually scared of wildlife, but I'm building a phobia of these things.

Most jellyfish are a nuisance rather than dangerous/deadly.

Problem for me is "jellyfishphobia"...

I used to love swimming in the open sea until I got stung by one jellyfish (just hurt a bit) and saw an octopus -> since then I am a coward about marine things.

And I thought swimming with venomous sea snakes was bad enough. :p

Although sea snakes are very venomous, there are not many cases known where they attacked divers and/or snorkelers.

In all my diving years I know of one swimmer who got bitten.

Interestingly enough, there are no sea snakes in the Atlantic or the Red Sea.

The good point of most dangerous animals is they are usually more afraid than you are thus they run away and only attack if cornered...

Problem with these ones and a few others is they don't run...

I think I remember (thanks again national geographic) that there is a blue-yellow octopus which qualifies as absolutely deadly...

I understand now why it has been years since I didn't swim in the sea.

Better be dumb than having watched "cultural" TV

The Blue ringed octopus is indeed one of the world's most venomous sea animals around.

It's very unlikely you will encounter one though, they're shy and will try to stay out of your reach if you manage to get near to one.

Blue ringed octopus are not known to be in Thai waters to the best of my knowledge.

My former home state of South Australia is one of the habitats of the Blue Ringed octopus.

The incidence of bites increased dramatically when deposits were placed on cool drink containers. "Can Collectors" working the beaches would find that many cans in shallow water, or below the high tide mark, had become homes for these little fellows who disputed possession of the can.

South Australia is also popular with Great White Sharks and serial killers. Thailand is far safer.

Archived