Best (cheapest) way to keep ph # in West?

Steve

Not sure if this is the right section. This may only be able to be answered by Americans perhaps.

I may be gone for a year or more outside the U.S. I have had the same number in America for several years. (cell number). I want to keep this number while I'm gone since friends and family know it. I've talked to At&t, Verizon and the rest and they all said I have to pay the minimum monthly plan and if its not kept up I will eventually lose the number in about 60 days.

Is there a place I can have the number 'held' either for free or a modest fee while I am out of the country? If possible, a place where I can go online or call the voicemail to check messages every once in a while?

yes, VoIP. Skype lets you have your own number too, and the calls go to Voicemail or your Skype client. In fact you can do things like have a local number in a foreign country for people to call, and it gets VoIPed to whereever your computer is that is running the Skype client. I don't think they can do that for Thailand, but the USA and most European countries, you can. Still, that is not what asked for. If you want a USA number, they can do it.

There also are some places that you can subscribe to an online fax server where you get a number and it will send and receive faxes along with voice messages. Try ureach.com

I don't think any of these will be free, but they will be less than a landline for sure.

you could get a T mobile prepaid phone , $30-$40 at target , put the $100 card on it and its good for a year , transfer your number to that phone ,

when you are close to a year add $10 to it and its good for another year.

Dave

Thanks. I just want to have the same number when I get back to the states. If anything I'll leave it with a friend or a relative who can check for messages every so often. All my friends and family will know I am overseas so the only calls I should get are mainly calls I don't want (sales calls, etc.)

Thanks. I just want to have the same number when I get back to the states. If anything I'll leave it with a friend or a relative who can check for messages every so often. All my friends and family will know I am overseas so the only calls I should get are mainly calls I don't want (sales calls, etc.)

If you get one of those throw away phones as mentioned, I would turn the thing off. Generally if the sales people etc. call, it goes against your minutes.

My land line phone service (AT&T) allows me to put the service in to "vacation mode" where I do not have to pay any costs while I am on vacation. I phone them, tell them to put me in vacation mode and phone them a few days in advance when I intend to return to the USA.

This year I signed up for "Skype Out" and now have a local number with the answer machine...$36/year (I think), cheap enough and it does what I need.

Found the same thing, over the past year.

previously, with 1 2 call, I could top up 500Bt and get (I think) 6 months extension...

Changed about a year or so ago and now is 300Bt for 30 days extensions...

GF (ex) kept my SIM and topped up each month...used the credits to call Mama...

Only problem is....SHE still has the SIM...and there are a couple of No's that she has access to...that I wud prefer she didn't....if youget my drift

Chrs DS

Archived