Non-Stop Flights to BKK?

youngfarang

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EVA through Taiwain is faster than the routes through Narita. We have all wanted to find a good direct route and the one out of LAX has always been quite expensive. The best trip I had was when I was in Sweden on business and took their direct which was a 10 hour flight from Stockholm. Very nice. Doesn't help from the US though. I also wish there was a direct from Honolulu. It would be nice to spend a few days there on the way over but all the flights out of Hawaii go through Narita also.

I've posted this before, but USA-BKK is a low yield route. Not enough business traffic to support the nonstop flights, although it could be argued that if TG made a sustained effort with daily flights and an enormous advertising budget they could attract more 'beyond' BKK business travelers. After all, BKK is geographically a better hub than Singapore from the US, and SQ is doing well enough with their nonstop to make it an all business class configuration.

If you look at the lowest economy class fares between the US and BKK, you'll find that they're often lower than fares to/from the in between points like Korea, Taipei and Hong Kong that you might have to transit.

So TG predictably reverts to the via Japan route, where they get their butt kicked on the US-Japan segment because of lack of frequency and passenger loyalty to other carriers, but they at least make some money on the Japan to BKK leg because fares from Japan are relatively high.

Archived