Warning!! Virus from youtube

Tiger Moth

Not necessarily. The update could have caused a conflict with 3rd party drivers or antivirus software. This has happened in the past.

While not claiming to be very knowledgeable, I don't understand how a driver could cause a component of Vista to be missing.

I use Windows Live OneCare - it may not be the best but I already paid for it - so, I will stick with it until my paid subscription runs out.

The fact that I watched a video on youtube that said it was fcuking up my system and the next time my system was restarted, it was fcuked up, seems quite a coincidence.

I guess I will never know what caused the problem.

Maybe it is this,

Cyber crims are creating fake YouTube pages to trick unwary web surfers into downloading spyware and viruses.

The ultra-realistic pages are created with a software kit currently being spread through hacker websites, the Associated Press reported.

When surfers find the page - for example, by clicking on a link in an email - it tells them they must install new software to see the video. A link in this message directs them to download the malicious software instead.

The new attack is a "social engineering" approach used more and more often by cyber criminals, one that tries to fool people instead of trying to exploit software vulnerabilities.

The criminals are hoping people will assume software from YouTube is safe and let their guard down

The fake YouTube sites are alarmingly accurate, AP reported, but a giveaway is their incorrect web addresses.

Maybe it is this,

Cyber crims are creating fake YouTube pages to trick unwary web surfers into downloading spyware and viruses.

The ultra-realistic pages are created with a software kit currently being spread through hacker websites, the Associated Press reported.

That day I did surf several boxing related web sites, so, it is possible. The one I mentioned, which had the text was however, definitely youtube. And, unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the video clip.

So, since I don't have a record of my activities, I am still inclined to believe my problem was due to a virus and not the automatic Vista update. But, again, guess I will never know for sure.

Archived